Re: Endmills that do a goog job on a straight plunge?

plh wrote:
Now don't die of shock: this is on topic.
I have a job actually series o similar parts that keeps coming, anyway, one of
the features is a 1/4" hole actually more than one but in overlaps a large bored
hole (typically two or so inches) so that is is half in and half out. The
material is D2, sometimes A2 or O1. I dont want to drill the hole ahead of time,
that gives the boring bar an awfully bumpy ride. Are there any end mills that
size that can take a 3/4 - 1" deep half-circle plunge like that? My other option
is to work my way down cutting into it radially, but that is more complex, and I
need to ultimately turn this into a macro, so I need to keep it simple (if
possible) suggestions?
Thanx,
-plh

PLH, can you use one of those endmills with a drill point on the end?

http://www.endmill.com/pages/drillpt.html

Best,
Steve

--

Regards,
Steve Saling

  • Re: Tiny Tiny Hole
    ... | | .018 hole in some brass last week. ... | | Spot it with a good drill, and use the "pivot drill" style; ...
    (alt.machines.cnc)
  • Re: Tiny Tiny Hole
    ... > | plh wrote: ... hole .1 away like I ... > Spot it with a good drill, ... use the pivot drills ...
    (alt.machines.cnc)
  • Re: Odd chip problem...
    ... The problem here is that the deep 3/8 hole does not allow "augering" of the chips upward and clear, so unless a bit is able to reliably form a ribbon that sticks to the bit, all are destined to fall back in the hole. ... Might try drilling the tap drill hole first. ... A high quality parabolic flute jobbers drill then follow with the 3/8 drill. ... aka The Garlic Dude © ...
    (alt.machines.cnc)
  • Re: whats the best way to do this?
    ... we will drill on a big manual. ... It will then go to the cnc lathe for od work using ... concentric after the hole by chucking on the i.d. ... Anyone have some suggestions for plugs with centers that "dlevy" ...
    (alt.machines.cnc)
  • Re: Stainless Steel Project Help(part 2)
    ... They can be driven out as long as the hole goes all the way ... final diameter and cut them to length. ... have to investigate further what I'll need to drill that 1/8" diameter ... hole through rod and sleeve. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)