Re: Survey: Does Your Shop Do Any 3D Surfacing?

jon_banquer wrote:

You reap what you sow.

So do *you*.

I fail to see why any progressive machinist would want to work for a
shop that doesn't make use of product like SolidWorks and instead
tries to use Gibbscam for everything.

Jon:

We DO use Gibbs for virtually everything CNC related. SolidWorks
wouldn't help us machine anything, since it's not a CAM system.

Perhaps there is a reason why
you often have to sub out difficult jobs.

We virtually never quote on jobs that we can't machine in-house (not
counting outside vendors for heat-treating, anodizing/plating, blanchard
grinding, and the like). When we get swamped, we sometimes send work to
other shops, but if you think that's because we are functionally unable
to machine it ourselves - well that would be an unwarranted assumption
on your part.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

  • Re: Survey: Does Your Shop Do Any 3D Surfacing?
    ... shop that doesn't make use of product like SolidWorks and instead ... We virtually never quote on jobs that we can't machine in-house (not ... I think Jon was referring to the programming aspects of the job. ... consiering most programmers who do work for a shop eventually end up ...
    (alt.machines.cnc)
  • Re: Hell would freeze over first.... Re: Should The Jon Banquer Blog Add Machining Tips?
    ... I went to your blog weeks ago, ... Most people never find a shop they are completely comfortable working at. ... If they change jobs much more frequently than that, then stability is lacking and their job history could be considered inconsistent. ... I went through the book and exercises to see if MasterCam had any advantages over Gibbscam sufficient to change our shop over to MasterCam. ...
    (alt.machines.cnc)
  • Re: Why Do So Many Companies Continue To Choose SolidWorks Over UG?
    ... Why did they add SolidWorks seats instead of more seats of ... UG allowed SolidWorks to gain the leading market share by refusing to ... dramatically lowered the price it maybe too late. ... I'll be back on UG very soon at a fairly small shop. ...
    (alt.machines.cnc)
  • Re: Beeg Eessuue, Pliz
    ... yesterday it was sporting half-a-dozen jobs between ... the fruit shop, the newsagent and the bookies' shop. ... Not your high flying jobs but jobs that anyone could do ... it is a different 'Beeg Eessuue, Pliz' vendor, sort ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)