Re: Survey: Does Your Shop Do Any 3D Surfacing?

jon_banquer wrote:

You reap what you sow.

So do *you*.

I fail to see why any progressive machinist would want to work for a
shop that doesn't make use of product like SolidWorks and instead
tries to use Gibbscam for everything.

Jon:

We DO use Gibbs for virtually everything CNC related. SolidWorks
wouldn't help us machine anything, since it's not a CAM system.

Perhaps there is a reason why
you often have to sub out difficult jobs.

We virtually never quote on jobs that we can't machine in-house (not
counting outside vendors for heat-treating, anodizing/plating, blanchard
grinding, and the like). When we get swamped, we sometimes send work to
other shops, but if you think that's because we are functionally unable
to machine it ourselves - well that would be an unwarranted assumption
on your part.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob