Re: Lebanese Christian Speaks Out On Isreal

First I would like to point out that when discussing people of the
Jewish, Christian or Islamic faiths, I am none of the above and
therefore I have no particular reason to take one side or another.

I have had friends from many different backgrounds and faiths and have
seen no real difference between any of them so, when I see someone
constantly bashing one group or another, I find it irritating.

The following is a speech given by Brigitte Gabriel at Duke
University.
http://www.israpundit.com/archives/2005/09/brigitte_gabrie_1.php

I'm proud and honored to stand here today, as a Lebanese speaking for
Israel, the only democracy in the Middle East. As someone who was
raised in an Arabic country, I want to give you a glimpse into the
heart of the Arabic world.

I was raised in Lebanon, where I was taught that the Jews were evil,
Israel was the devil, and the only time we will have peace in the
Middle East is when we kill all the Jews and drive them into the sea.

When the Moslems and Palestinians declared Jihad on the Christians in
1975, they started massacring the Christians, city after city. I ended
up living in a bomb shelter underground from age 10 to 17, without
electricity, eating grass to live, and crawling under sniper bullets
to a spring to get water.

It was Israel who came to help the Christians in Lebanon. My mother
was wounded by a Moslem's shell, and was taken into an Israeli
hospital for treatment. When we entered the emergency room, I was
shocked at what I saw. There were hundreds of people wounded, Moslems,
Palestinians, Christians, Lebanese, and Israeli soldiers lying on the
floor. The doctors treated everyone according to their injury. They
treated my mother before they treated the Israeli soldier lying next
to her. They didn't see religion, they didn't see political
affiliation, they saw people in need and they helped.

For the first time in my life I experienced a human quality that I
know my culture would not have shown to their enemy. I experienced the
values of the Israelis, who were able to love their enemy in their
most trying moments. I spent 22 days at that hospital. Those days
changed my life and the way I believe information, the way I listen to
the radio or to television. I realized I was sold a fabricated lie by
my government, about the Jews and Israel, that was so far from
reality. I knew for fact that, if I was a Jew standing in an Arab
hospital, I would be lynched and thrown over to the grounds, as shouts
of joy of Allahu Akbar, God is great, would echo through the hospital
and the surrounding streets.

I became friends with the families of the Israeli wounded soldiers:
one in particular Rina, her only child was wounded in his eyes.

One day I was visiting with her, and the Israeli army band came to
play national songs to lift the spirits of the wounded soldiers. As
they surrounded his bed playing a song about Jerusalem, Rina and I
started crying. I felt out of place and started waking out of the
room, and this mother holds my hand and pulls me back in without even
looking at me.

She holds me crying and says: "it is not your fault". We just stood
there crying, holding each other's hands.

What a contrast between her, a mother looking at her deformed 19 year
old only child, and still able to love me the enemy, and between a
Moslem mother who sends her son to blow himself up to smithereens just
to kill a few Jews or Christians.

The difference between the Arabic world and Israel is a difference in
values and character. It's barbarism verses civilization. It's
democracy verses dictatorship. It's goodness verses evil.

Once upon a time, there was a special place in the lowest depths of
hell for anyone who would intentionally murder a child. Now, the
intentional murder of Israeli children is legitimized as Palestinian
"armed struggle".

However, once such behavior is legitimized against Israel, it is
legitimized every where in the world, constrained by nothing more than
the subjective belief of people who would wrap themselves in dynamite
and nails for the purpose of killing children in the name of god.

Because the Palestinians have been encouraged to believe that
murdering innocent Israeli civilians is a legitimate tactic for
advancing their cause, the whole world now suffers from a plague of
terrorism, from Nairobi to New York, from Moscow to Madrid, from Bali
to Beslan.

They blame suicide bombing on "desperation of occupation". Let me tell
you the truth. The first major terror bombing committed by Arabs
against the Jewish state occurred ten weeks before Israel even became
independent.

On Sunday morning, February 22, 1948, in anticipation of Israel's
independence, a triple truck bomb was detonated by Arab terrorists on
Ben Yehuda Street, in what was then the Jewish section of Jerusalem.
Fifty-four people were killed, and hundreds were wounded. Thus, it is
obvious that Arab terrorism is caused not by the "desperation" of
"occupation", but by the VERY THOUGHT of a Jewish state.

So many times in history in the last 100 years, citizens have stood by
and done nothing, allowing evil to prevail. As America stood up
against and defeated communism, now it is time to stand up against the
terror of religious bigotry and intolerance. It's time to all stand
up, and support and defend the state of Israel, which is the front
line of the war against terrorism.

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
before demode` (out of fashion).
-Buddy Jordan 2001
.