Re: non-rotary dial indicator?

"Jan Nielsen" <morgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:8ppo62t9afgoj146h7vqt4ic3nua1lqipl@xxxxxxxxxx

When aligning our Renishaw probe or the tailstock on the lathe - or any
other
operation where the dial indicator must rotate and the part remain
stationary,
we fiddle around with mirrors and stuff trying to read the friggin' clock
during
a full turn. I seem to remember a dial indicator where the dial clock was
arrested to the machine with a piece of string and a magnet while the rest
of
the indicator rotated with the spindle... anybody seen such a beast?

It's not what you're looking for but....

I see a lot of guys at work always clamp their standard Mitutoyo indicators
on the dovetail above the clock (*top* of the indicator) or the one on that
back, behind the clock. They crane their heads around and get all
contortionist-like to dial in a hole.

One should always keep in mind that there is also a very handy dovetail
below the clock, on the front of the indicator. Using this dovetail, you can
adjust the indicator's point to be 90º from the body (basically sticking out
the back). When used to find a hole on a mill, the clock is facing directly
up at the operator no matter what the orientation of the spindle is, and the
point is always in the hole. No acrobatics required.

Just thought I'd share for people that haven't see an indicator setup that
way yet.

Regards,

Robin

  • Re: Wood router duty cycle?
    ... Wes, yes, I will definitely measure runout with a dial indicator. ... "First Law of Leftist Debate ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: How much force in a vise?
    ... measure its deflection by a dial indicator. ... This was not to measure the deflection of the screw or the ... with the indicator measuring the distance between the ends of the ... Here is one on eBay -- but one without a dial indicator built ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Making a micrometer stop for a Clausing lathe
    ... and I plan to make a clamp to hold a 0-2" dial indicator such that ... will indicate carriage location, and having the 70 degree groove ... I like the 2" indicator for threading, ... a few seconds to re-zero the two dials on the TAD. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Machine-DRO
    ... For each reading the handwheel was brought to 0 from the same direction. ... Set up a 10mm travel dial indicator, used the dro indication for the .00. ...
    (uk.rec.models.engineering)
  • Re: Rebuilding old Starrett "Last Word"
    ... I used Last Word indicators years ago at a machine shop I worked at, ... that check with a good quality indicator. ... where accuracy of less than .001" with a dial indicator was required. ... there was very little electronic measuring tools available, ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)