Re: Which way would you do this?

I would think just putting G54 and G55 in the right places in the
program would handle it for you. Well, as long as you tell the
control where G54 and G55 are before running the program. Otherwise
things could get exciting. A common Z height is helpful, too.

Later,

Charlie

Charlie, I agree a G54 for the first part and a G55 for the second
part ought to work. On my control, Fanuc, a different Z number can be
plugged in also in the G55.

I just tried this with a test program. Changed the Z in G55 offset table
by 1 inch. Did not move the spindle up or down. Just seems to have
ignored the G55 command.

Test program:

N10 G17 G40 G49 G80
N20 G91 G28 Z.0
N30 T25 (1/2 X .125 BULL NOSE CARBIDE END MILL) M6
N40 G54
N50 G0 G90 X-2.0 Y2.0 S1000 M3
N60 G43 Z4.0 H25 T25
N70 G1 Y-2.0 F30.