>> TXD 3 -----\/----- 2 TXD
>> RXD 2 -----/\----- 3 RXD
>> SG 5 ------------ 7 SG
>> RTS 7 -----\/----- 4 RTS
>> CTS 8 -----/\----- 5 CTS
>> CD 1 -. ,-- 8 CD
>> DSR 6 -'---\/--`-- 6 DSR
>> DTR 4 -----/\----- 20 DTR
>>
>> I'm going to start with this one, and fall back to the simpler cable if I
>> have to. I'd like to use hardware handshaking if possible.
>

> O.K.
>

>> Ah. This makes even more sense. Thanks.
>>
>> Bill, you've been a big help. I know there's much more I need to learn,
>> but I sure appreciate what you (and the others here) have provided so
>> far. It would have taken much longer to get even this far without your
>> input.
>>
>> Jim
>
> Thankya, thankya verryymuuch.

I'd start with the simple cable first and prove that I can communicate with
the machine first. That would also tell me if I need to do more. Then if I
add the extra lines and it stops working I know where the trouble lies.
Basic trouble shooting, isolate as many variables as you can, FIRST!

Gary H. Lucas

.