Re: Liquidmetal

On 7 Nov 2005 02:54:53 GMT, D Murphy <spamto154@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Cliff <Clhuprich@xxxxxxx> wrote in
>
>> On 6 Nov 2005 06:16:58 GMT, D Murphy <spamto154@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
><snip>
>

>>>I remember seeing the bouncing ball demo some time ago. I wonder how
>>>this stuff cuts.
>>
>> Might cut quite well. Why not ask them?
>>
>>>While they tout it as being like plastic, the reality is that
>>>it would be more like glass.
>>
>> Amorphous materials both.
>>
>>>It has a high hardness and is no doubt very
>>>brittle.
>>
>> That does not follow at all.
>> "Metallic glasses" are famed for their formability.
>
>At what temperature?

Room, among others.

>>>I seriously doubt they could hold all of the tolerances required
>>>on a hip stem without doing some machining.
>>
>> Precision investment casting can hold very tight tolerances,
>> as can various sintering methods.
>
>The hip stem has a tight tolerance taper that locks into the ball.

And are they having to machine it? Do you know typical tolerances
on things like sintering & investment casting

>>>I also wonder if they are just trading the expense of machining for a
>>>more expensive alloy.
>>
>> Machining is expensive and may have scrap.
>
>You think?

jb comes to mind <G>.
--
Cliff

  • Re: Liquidmetal
    ... >>I remember seeing the bouncing ball demo some time ago. ... >>on a hip stem without doing some machining. ... > Precision investment casting can hold very tight tolerances, ... >>I also wonder if they are just trading the expense of machining for a ...
    (alt.machines.cnc)
  • Re: AMC Thanksgiving Dinner 2007
    ... With Cliff not able to support ... But while Cliff is arguing with John, ... they were happily comparing machining battle scars. ... Is Jon's briefcase full of turkey ...
    (alt.machines.cnc)
  • Re: AMC Thanksgiving Dinner 2007
    ... but no-one seems to be listening other than Joe788 sitting ... Toward the center of the table are Cliff & John Carroll, ... But while Cliff is arguing with John, ... they were happily comparing machining battle scars. ...
    (alt.machines.cnc)
  • Re: Survey: Would You Rather Black Dragon Post, or Not Post.
    ... Ahm jes all effed up over this goddamm BP fiasco.... ... I just need to kick somebody's ass--jb and Harold aren't around, ... >> CNC machining. ... >> ones responsible for letting Cliff control your posting habits. ...
    (alt.machines.cnc)
  • Re: Tapping Rexolite
    ... Cliff wrote: ... is a unique cross linked polystyrene microwave plastic made ... >>> Don't know if it is suitable to roll tap plastic, ... > Handles well in all machining operations. ...
    (alt.machines.cnc)