Re: Simple effective wifi router, help

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 10:39:33 -0600, amdx <amdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

A friends daughter got an Ipad, he now wants to get a wifi router so
she can get online at home, (she's 10).

She's spoiled.

I don't know if the Ipad is G or N, probably doesn't matter, many are
both now.

Presumably, it's an iPad 2. That does 802.11 a/b/g/n
<http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/>
If she lives in a really RF polluted environment, I would be tempted
to suggest getting a dual band wireless router or access point.

I want to recommend a couple of routers he can get and be happy with.
He's never had wifi in the house, so just a simple effective router.
I'll probably send a couple of Newegg links.

I only see broken routers, so I can't offer many recommendations for
anything that works. Same with manufacturers. They all suck, but
some suck less. This week, I like DLink, mostly because I can get
them cheap in quantity.

For a 10 year old, I would expect whatever is purchased would probably
be destroyed within a few months. Therefore, cheap is of paramount
importance. I've had good luck (i.e. no failures) with bottom of the
line DLink DIR-601 router. Priced around $25. It's 2.4GHz only,
non-MIMO, and fairly basic. I've installed about 10 of them in the
last 6 months, without any problems. No clue on long term life, but
with a 10 year old, my guess(tm) would be it's not going to be an
issue.

However, if you want all the fancy features, the DLink DIR-825 does it
all. It seems to be targeted at the Apple market (i.e. white plastic
box). About $100. I've only installed one, which doesn't offer much
of a track record. There are also some models in between, which I
haven't tried.

<http://www.dlink.com/products/category/?cid=1>

Speaking of selling to the Mac crowd, Netgear has an Aiport Extreme
clone. Imitation and flattery?
<http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/high-performance/WNDRMAC.aspx>
Sorry, no experience.

Make sure she gets a not-easily-removable rubberized protective case
and possibly Applecare in case it gets dropped anyway.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@xxxxxxxxxx
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

  • Re: Simple effective wifi router, help
    ... He's never had wifi in the house, so just a simple effective router. ... some suck less. ... This week, I like DLink, mostly because I can get ... Therefore, cheap is of paramount ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: A RAS/VPN "Is it just me?" question
    ... You have a T1 at the office connected to a Cisco ... Then you say you have a Dlink at the office and a Dlink at ... If you are adventurous you could have me try to vpn from one of my ... >> router? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • DLink 704 hangs, so I need something better
    ... I recently purchased a DLink 704 firewall/router to hold the static IP ... It works well as a standalone firewall, ... Every consumer-level router in the world has this feature. ... Can Windows 2000 Server perform the same type ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Xbox 360 and Windows Vista Home Premium Help
    ... .net framework not installing right ... connected directly to router. ... dlink switch, dlink router ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: OT: firewall program
    ... with those cheap wall-wart power supplies. ... "very good" router that's rock solid. ... do you know which ATSC converters are good? ...
    (sci.electronics.design)