Re: The world sees my IP address (I read everything) Is there no better solution?

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 04:43:38 +0000 (UTC), JoeSchmoe
<nospamjoeschmoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 18:41:54 -0700, bod43 wrote:
You can alternatively pay for a commercial VPN solution.

I always thought VPN simply encrypted the contents of your packets.

I didn't realize VPN also changes your originating IP address?

Can you elaborate on that?

it doesnt directly.

what usually happens at least for the class of VPNs based on tunnels,
is that the end point / PC has a "native" IP address, and another one
inside the tunnel.

depending on the VPN all useful / user traffic may have to follow the
VPN, or you may be able to "split tunnel" and use some local addresses
directly (eg for a local server or printer).

Most are client server, and designed with a central hub, where the far
end of all the tunnels terminate, and where your traffic is released
out onto the corporate net, or the Internet and so on.

Because VPNs are often for corporate use, they often use RFC1918
private addresses (as VPNs can use a lot of addresses, and public IPs
are hard to get and justify for this) - so there is address
translation between the VPN server and the generic Internet.
--
Regards

stephen_hope@xxxxxxxxxxxx - replace xyz with ntl

  • security-basics Digest of: get.123_145
    ... VPN to ASP a security risk? ... Re: Multiple IPSec tunnels? ... Subject: Security NT Server ... VPN to ASP a security risk? ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Adding a 3rd NIC to an SBS2003 Premium server.
    ... I currently run our SBS server with two NIC's behind a perimeter ... All three locations are currently linked with vpn ... tunnels between the firewall routers. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Possibility of routing through internet with private IP address
    ... > VPN tunnels from the WAN side end at the netscreen. ... and have the packets routed back to them properly? ... Better Management for Network Security ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Looking for hardware VPN solution to connect 3 networks
    ... any VPN router/device on the market, if they don't have fixed IP ... A cheap method to setup VPN tunnels between locations is to use the ... as stand alone VPN routers for other small clients. ... only want two offices connecting to 1 office, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Automatic site link bridging
    ... some are connected via IPSec VPN Tunnels (some errors on these sites ... DC, depending on spec of firewall installed, regarding amount of support VPN ... In ADS&S these VPN sites with DC's are defined, and have a site link back to ... Not all the VPN sites have physical connectivity to all the ...