Re: The world sees my IP address (I read everything) Is there no better solution?

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 04:43:38 +0000 (UTC), JoeSchmoe
<nospamjoeschmoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 18:41:54 -0700, bod43 wrote:
You can alternatively pay for a commercial VPN solution.

I always thought VPN simply encrypted the contents of your packets.

I didn't realize VPN also changes your originating IP address?

Can you elaborate on that?

it doesnt directly.

what usually happens at least for the class of VPNs based on tunnels,
is that the end point / PC has a "native" IP address, and another one
inside the tunnel.

depending on the VPN all useful / user traffic may have to follow the
VPN, or you may be able to "split tunnel" and use some local addresses
directly (eg for a local server or printer).

Most are client server, and designed with a central hub, where the far
end of all the tunnels terminate, and where your traffic is released
out onto the corporate net, or the Internet and so on.

Because VPNs are often for corporate use, they often use RFC1918
private addresses (as VPNs can use a lot of addresses, and public IPs
are hard to get and justify for this) - so there is address
translation between the VPN server and the generic Internet.
--
Regards

stephen_hope@xxxxxxxxxxxx - replace xyz with ntl
.