Re: The world sees my IP address (I read everything) Is there no better solution?

On 9/10/2010 4:13 PM, JoeSchmoe wrote:

- I don't fully understand how the ISP can be assigning multiple people
the same IP address shown to the outside world (the support guys said it
was just like my home NAT).

It would seem that your ISP likely has a small public IP address block so they are doing exactly the same thing (NAT) that your home router is doing. The support guy is telling you the truth.

The question (again):
- How can I change my IP address (what stone did I leave unturned)?

Other than a proxy there isn't any way to change the public IP address.

  • Re: Some Kudos for Dell
    ... >>> to provide remote support we had to get SBC to allow us to use Bridge ... >>> mode in order to get a public IP so that we could manage the NAT on ... > no cost to the user or the ISP. ... >> question came up about providing at cost Antivirus software. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • [fw-wiz] Watchguard update
    ... I just spent an hour on the phone with Watchguard support. ... had NAT all FUBARed. ... Having talked to Tech support and the PM for the interface, ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Firewall Services Module NAT Capability Question for 2.3(3) release
    ... Support the following NAT configuration requirements on the ... Ecommerce Firewall will eventually have to ... For outside -> inside traffic pattern: ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: [initscripts-ipv6] Bug (or enhancement) in 6to4 scripts (NAT)...
    ... up my laptop and I have to cross a NAT box (or more if it's wireless and ... tell them "can you please enable protocol 41 passthrough in your NAT ... advertise a server behind a NAT device on 6to4. ... But to just support clients, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
    ... support for those who did not completely remove IPv6 support from their OS. ... NAT is broken in a number of ways. ... Also, it's possible for an ISP to overload NAT, as each IP address has a limited number of ports that can be remapped. ...
    (SuSE)