Re: uPnP on home/school router

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 22:40:23 -0700, DevilsPGD
<Still-Just-A-Rat-In-A-Cage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sure, but external exploits are on the wrong side of the NAT / firewall
to open a port using UPnP.

UPnP opens ports on the WAN side of the router. The most common are
Microsoft Messenger ports at two per client. When I scanned my
firewall for open ports, I was rather surprised to see two random
ports open for every Windoze PC I had on the network. Also common is
for a virus to use UPnP to open a WAN port to allow the evil bad guys
to control a trojaned PC.

If the router is buggy enough to accept UPnP requests from outside,
you've likely got other design flaws that will bite you long before this
one does.

<> Pg 13.

Jeff Liebermann jeffl@xxxxxxxxxx
150 Felker St #D
Santa Cruz CA 95060
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558