Re: Linksys Wireless Router and Dropped Cable Modem Connections

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 08:38:22 -0700 (PDT), in
<22405c45-7dc2-49c7-9bd7-2f8e8b6b64b5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
three-eight-hotel <tbpeterson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have a problem that is driving me nuts! I have a Motorola SURFboard
(SB5120) cable modem, and am using Comcast cable services. I also
have a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54G).

Which flavor (version)? Which firmware?

Initially, the two worked well together, with my PC wired to the
router, and an occaisional laptop connection. Since then, we have
started to add wireless devices to our list of assets (iPhone,
iTouches, iPad, Wii and a wireless printer). Although it seemed like
it was around the time that I enabled the Wii to take advantage of the
network, it appears that I have periodic issues, although less
frequently. (We are using Wii to stream NetFlix movies)

The problem is that the cable modem seems to get knocked off-line, a
lot! Sometimes, several times an hour!

How do you know the problem is the cable modem?
Do the lights show it as down?
Did you have Comcast check the status of the cable modem?

I work from home, and end up plugging the cable modem directly into my
PC, so I can get through the day, without getting dropped, but it
takes the wireless router out of play, hence the wife and kids can't
enjoy their wireless devices!

This is killing me! Is it the wireless router? Is it the cable
modem? Is it a combination of both??? I'm willing to purchase new
hardware, as long as I know what/who the culprit is.

The usual problem is the crappy firmware in the WRT54G, not the cable
modem. Upgrade to the latest firmware version. If that does not help,
switch to DD-WRT (build 13525) if you have a compatible model.

--
John FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://wireless.navas.us>
FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi>