Re: Linksys Wireless Router and Dropped Cable Modem Connections

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 08:38:22 -0700 (PDT), in
<22405c45-7dc2-49c7-9bd7-2f8e8b6b64b5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
three-eight-hotel <tbpeterson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have a problem that is driving me nuts! I have a Motorola SURFboard
(SB5120) cable modem, and am using Comcast cable services. I also
have a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54G).

Which flavor (version)? Which firmware?

Initially, the two worked well together, with my PC wired to the
router, and an occaisional laptop connection. Since then, we have
started to add wireless devices to our list of assets (iPhone,
iTouches, iPad, Wii and a wireless printer). Although it seemed like
it was around the time that I enabled the Wii to take advantage of the
network, it appears that I have periodic issues, although less
frequently. (We are using Wii to stream NetFlix movies)

The problem is that the cable modem seems to get knocked off-line, a
lot! Sometimes, several times an hour!

How do you know the problem is the cable modem?
Do the lights show it as down?
Did you have Comcast check the status of the cable modem?

I work from home, and end up plugging the cable modem directly into my
PC, so I can get through the day, without getting dropped, but it
takes the wireless router out of play, hence the wife and kids can't
enjoy their wireless devices!

This is killing me! Is it the wireless router? Is it the cable
modem? Is it a combination of both??? I'm willing to purchase new
hardware, as long as I know what/who the culprit is.

The usual problem is the crappy firmware in the WRT54G, not the cable
modem. Upgrade to the latest firmware version. If that does not help,
switch to DD-WRT (build 13525) if you have a compatible model.

--
John FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://wireless.navas.us>
FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi>

  • Re: Wireless router losing Internet connection (DHCP problem)
    ... The new firmware, which I received by email in response to an email support ... problem with DHCP lease renewal. ... again when the DHCP lease runs out again -- the wireless router is ... cable modem in order to renew the DHCP lease, ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Linksys Wireless Router and Dropped Cable Modem Connections
    ... cable modem, and am using Comcast cable services. ... takes the wireless router out of play, hence the wife and kids can't ... simple free test, to help determine the culprit, next time it is dead, unplug the wall wart and plug it back in again if it works again, you have narrowed it down to transient voltage fluctuations on the ac line/funky wall wart thing ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: REQ: Advice on linking home PCs
    ... call your cable company and ask them if they provide a home wireless networking solution. ... If you want to do it yourself, pick up a wireless router, pick up a couple of PCI wireless cards for your desktop pcs, set up file and print sharing for what you want to share, and you are done. ... Your cable modem may not play nicely with your newly acquired wireless router and it is possible that you will have to clone the MAC address of the PC that is currently connected to cable modem in order to get the wireless router to connect. ...
    (alt.os.windows-xp)
  • Re: Problems accessing Exchange Server from the VPN
    ... his wireless router was giving him the same exact ... simply go into network file shares and directly access your Exchange ... Server mailbox with Outlook like you would in the office. ... His home setup is a cable modem with a Linksys wireless router; ...
  • Re: cable internet puzzle
    ... If so does it give any trouble at the same time? ... cable modem, and connecting directly from my computer to the cable modem ... an ethernet cable to get the wireless router out of the picture. ... I've tried another laptop once when I was having ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)