Re: How to get the MAC address of an ANTENNA on my roof

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 07:11:19 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:
The Arp reports a MAC address but it's the MAC address of the router:

CORRECTION.

The MAC address of the router is actually +1 from the MAC address that arp
is reporting.

What MAC address is arp reporting anyway?

C:\Documents and Settings\brent>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.1.1 --- 0x2
Internet Address Physical Address Type
192.168.1.1 00-16-B6-32-43-26 dynamic
----------

I'm not sure WHAT MAC address that ARP is reporting as my router tells me
it's MAC address is one higher (i.e., 00-16-B6-32-43-27).

Any ideas on what this is telling me?

  • Re: How to get the MAC address of an ANTENNA on my roof
    ... The MAC address of the router is actually +1 from the MAC address that arp ... What MAC address is arp reporting anyway? ... In the case of a local connection to a router, ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Pure IP & ARP broadcasts
    ... It actually communicates via the MAC address of the Nics (aka Layer2 ... what the ARP request does. ... A host has a packet to send, it has the IP# and nothing else. ... But if the owner of the IP# is not on that segment then the Router replies ...
  • Re: Router problems
    ... >> AFAICT my router only shows computers attached that were allocated IP ... The router status gives the MAC addresses of the ADSL port, ... ARP is used by every device running TCP/IP ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.networking)
  • Re: Using ARP to map a network
    ... > If the machines were behind a router you would not see anything for ARP. ... > an MAC address for the router but remember, the MAC address is part of ... >> This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Connecting a user to AOL (anything I should know?!)
    ... it's used for routing ... ... I am saying that what is done with an ARP table is not called Routing. ... Quite different to hard wired / the concept of MAC being hard wired. ... Wouldn`t "Cable modemA" change the MAC to that of the ISP`s Router? ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)