Re: 802.11n router recommendations and opinons...?

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 06:54:32 +0100, LR <lrme@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 07:18:59 +0100, LR <lrme@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Have you tried it with an external USB Hard Drive yet?

Yep. Works fine with my Western Dismal 320GB USB drive:
<http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=391>
which is FAT32 formatted. However, a SimpleTech 330GB USB drive
didn't work because of NTFS formatting. Apple knows about the issue.
Apparently, it's intentional:
<http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/06/wd-pumps-out-my-passport-for-mac-my-book-mac-edition/>
where vendors are expected to deliver PC only and Mac only drives.

I've been told that it's not terribly difficult to reformat external
USB drives to FAT32, NTFS, HFS+, EFS, or whatever is deemed useful.

I did have a problem with a Seagate Free Agent | Go drive:
<http://freeagent.seagate.com/en-us/hard-drive/Free-Agent.html>
The drive comes with two USB cables. One cable has two USB plugs in
order to get more power to run the drive. That's not a problem with
the 250GB version, but the 500GB version would sometimes fail to start
if powered from only one USB plug. The problem is that the Airport
Extreme only has one USB jack on the rear panel.

Thanks. That means we would have to continue using our nas drives for
our mixed linux windows network and just use our usb drive as a portable
drive.

A bit more...

I had kinda hoped that the Airport Extreme base station would support
802.11e (WMM or Wi-Fi MultiMedia) but doesn't. I've been playing with
it on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 router running DD-WRT v24 SP1 at a crowded
hot spot. WMM divides apps by background, best effort, video, and
voice. I have SIP and Skype setup for the highest voice priority (and
file sharing set for background). It seems to work well for what
seems to be a deluge of Ipod Touch PDA's running Skype.

Note that WMM does not mean that priority packets get sent before
non-priority packets. It simply means that the backoff time, and
other delaying mechanisms are shorter for priority packets and that
they have a better probability of being sent first.

I forgot to mention that the Seagate Free Agent Go drive didn't work
with the Airport Extreme even after I connected the 2nd USB connector
to a 5V USB power supply. I thought I was doing something wrong, but
later determined that it didn't work because it was formatted for
NTFS.

FAT32 versus NTFS is apparently a never ending debate. In general,
NTFS is a much better filesystem for anyting over 8GB. FAT32 uses
very large cluster sizes, which allegedly wastes considerable
diskspace. If you have a large number of files, the large cluster
size will cause considerable waste. In addition, the OS had to read
the empty space, which slows things down. Such wasted space is NOT an
issue when dealing with big files, such as my usual backup images.
These are typically split into 2GB chunks and are 6 to 40GB per
machine. These fill up the drive quickly, but there's little waste
because there are only a few files.

I've also been playing with NAS drives. My favorite (this week) is a
Buffalo Linkstation Live LS-CH500L. About $200. Lots of goodies and
features I'll probably never use, but are fun to play with:
<http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage/linkstation/linkstation-live-ls-chl/>
Gigabit ethernet, SATA, and a big cache are a must. Be sure to
upgrade the firmware to the latest. I don't see any reason to attach
the storage to wireless router. It's handy, but for performance (i.e.
massive backups), the ethernet to USB2 transition constitutes a 50%
slow down.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@xxxxxxxxxx
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

  • Re: convert external drive?
    ... >> and D: (NTFS) drives. ... Right now, everything is FAT32, and the external drive is ... So unless you have some special need for a FAT32 partition on your ... All, or virtually all, commercially-available USB external hard drives ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: pagefile
    ... Unless you know WHY you are clinging to FAT32, use NTFS all the way with Win2K and later. ... The rest of the page file can be wherever you have room, and it can be divided into several smaller page files on different drives. ... But WinXP is so much better at managing this than previous Windows versions, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.file_system)
  • Drives missing at boot
    ... finds its disk drives at each boot. ... Capabilities: Advanced Error Reporting ... 00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI USB ... Capabilities: PCI Advanced Features ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: convert external drive?
    ... > and D: (NTFS) drives. ... Right now, everything is FAT32, and the external drive is ... So unless you have some special need for a FAT32 partition on your ... All, or virtually all, commercially-available USB external hard drives ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: partition&page file
    ... large USB hard drives being commonly available. ... NTFS can be more secure and it has some additional ... need to get data off of the drive, or do some manual repairs to files, FAT32 ... the partition from another operating system, like 98, or LINUX. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)