Re: 802.11n router recommendations and opinons...?

On 16/04/2009 06:54, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:28:28 -0700 (PDT), Randall
<randall.shimizu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am thinking of getting a 802.11n wireless router. A lot of the
companies use the Atheros 802.11n chipset and there is some talk that
they have drop the connection a lot. So I am wondering if anyone has
any thoughts or recommendations. I might get the Trendnet that was in
today's Fry's ad. Just beginning to investigate the various 802.11n
routers.

$180 will get you an Apple Aiport Extreme. It's simultaneous dual
band and 802.11n. I've been playing with one erratically for the last
week or so (which gets installed tomorrow). It's a bit shy on the
long range (no external antennas), but works quite well in a
reflection infested environment (my office). Dropped connections are
usually caused by interference from other wireless networks, microwave
ovens, and such. I haven't seen any dropped connections with the
Airport Extreme yet, and I'm running 3 different wireless routers on
the same channel (6) at the same time. There's some interaction, but
no disconnects yet.

I don't buy anything from Fry's.

Have you tried it with an external USB Hard Drive yet? I have been looking at a few reviews and noticed this on CNET:-
"We didn't get to try the print-serving feature, but we found that the router's support for USB external hard drives was rather limited. It doesn't read drives formatted in the NTFS file system, but only FAT32 and Mac OS Extended. Generally it's more difficult to format a drive larger than 32GB using FAT32. This means Windows users can't simply plug most of their USB external hard drives into the router and expect to share the data contained on it. If you are willing to reformat your hard drive, you'll need to use a computer to do so, as the router doesn't include the formatting feature."
<http://reviews.cnet.com/wireless-access-points/apple-airport-extreme-base/4505-3265_7-33549749.html?tag=txt%3bpage>

  • Internet Connection Delays
    ... I have an Efficient Ethernet ADSL Speedstream 5100 (4 lights). ... Control Panel> Network Connections, I receive an error message that states ... several McAfee techs, an SP2 tech, and several techs with my ISP. ... I run Disk Cleanup for both my hard drives prior to shutting down. ...
  • Re: Computer Wont Post
    ... Try opening case & reseating all connections, ... wife that her computer does not turn on when she presses the button. ... Is the motherboard bad or not getting information from ... try removing all hard drives and CD ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: 8 SATA without using RAID ASUS A8N-SLI
    ... Premium seemed to fit the bill, as it has 8 SATA connections. ... are only able to be used for RAID purposes. ... What I would ultimately like to do is hook up 8 hard drives without ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Where are my HDs ???
    ... and see if the system recognizes all the Hard drives. ... > also see 2 connections in Network Connections that i don't know. ... > When installing WinXp i deleted partitions on C: ... > my work is on those disks. ...
  • Re: device not responding -- which one?
    ... Next check the ribbon cable to your CD-RW to see if it's not loose. ... Manager both my hard drives & cd-drives are listed with IDE under the ... which device's connections I need to check before I open up my computer. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)