Re: 31 db gain antenna

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 19:50:33 -0700 (PDT), jimmie68@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

While working on an airport S band radar I taped my WiFi detector to
the feedhorn and rotated the antenna. I was picking up signals from
all over the place, at least 100 different ones probably more that I
could not discern from the others. With the detector removed from the
feedhorn I could only get 4, I think they are all the WiFI for the
airport.Gain of the antenna is 31db with a cosecant squared vertical
radiation pattern. Its amazing what a really good antenna will do.

Jimmie

Doing the math.... well maybe not... my calculator battery just died.
Ok, the hard way... range doubles with every 6dB of gain.
gain = range increase over 0dBi gain
6dB = 2x
12dB = 4x
18dB = 8x
24dB = 16x
30dB = 32x
So, you've picked up perhaps 32 times the range or 32^2 = 1024 times
the coverage area with the rotating antenna. If you assume a uniform
density of access points, you should hear 1024 times as many. Nice.

The local airport (WVI/KWVI) has about 100 access point scattered
around the hangars, neighboring businesses, flight skools, and airport
offices. My guess is about 25% are wide open and set to the default
settings (SSID=linksys).

Um.... How did you read the wi-fi detector while the antenna was
rotating? It must have been quite a ride.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@xxxxxxxxxx
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

  • Re: 31 db gain antenna
    ... the feedhorn and rotated the antenna. ... range doubles with every 6dB of gain. ... managed to pick up wireless from 3 streets away. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: 31 db gain antenna
    ... the feedhorn and rotated the antenna. ... The local airport has about 100 access point scattered ... Jeff Liebermann     je...@xxxxxxxxxx ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • 31 db gain antenna
    ... While working on an airport S band radar I taped my WiFi detector to ... the feedhorn and rotated the antenna. ... I was picking up signals from ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Wi-Fi antenna postscrip
    ... parabola and the gain over what you have will be significant. ... forget about the 30 degree included angle that is built in. ... The shape of the antenna is not critical -- in practice a typical ... good signal/noise ratios and are highly directive. ...
    (rec.boats.electronics)
  • Re: basic question about light
    ... not free as in an antenna. ... What could that gain be due to? ... No, loss is negative. ... what makes it negative is what the power is being compared to. ...
    (sci.physics)