Re: 'Real' cost ?

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 15:28:26 +0000 (UTC), DanS
<t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Geez, Jeff, even I wasn't into doing that much research. But thanks, I'll
forward this info to the powers that be.

I was a bit burned out by dealing with getting my truck smogged and
need a diversion. You owe me about an hour of Googling.

I missed the 'responsible' bidder thing. My gut feeling is that since it
was grant money, cost wasn't a concern. There also had to be some kind of
kickbacks somewhere....no doubt. Johnson controls is a huge company.

140,000 employees.

Earlier this year, we, as a small company, provided our OEM I/O radio
gear, network design, on-site prop studies, and radio
management/monitoring s/w to a project in Florida along I-75 that
monitors guardrails along 'Alligator Alley' for collision breakthrus, and
relays this info back to HQ. This was 250-ish nodes and the total of our
contract was around $260K. I guess they got a really good deal. Granted
this was the 900 SS 115Kbps gear, but about 4 times the number of nodes.
I even had to design some custom antenna standoffs for these tapered
concrete polls they are using at Master locations.

$1,000 per node, including install is cheap. That's the list price of
one packaged Maxstream box. Are you giving away your products and
services? Granted, it's not high speed "evidence quality" video with
cameras that read license plates at 300 yards. Other than the
hardware and cameras, it's similar to the overpriced Buffalo install
at 1/40th the cost.

Looking at the map of the camera locations here in Buffalo, there's
enough space between them that I can easily see the criminals just moving
somewhere else. That's kind fo funny....and not. For instance, on the far
right, and centrally located top to bottom is the intersection of Bailey
and Genesee. Bailey runs N & S and Genesee is the road going SW to NE.
From that intersection, all the way SW down Genesee there is not one
other camera. The camera's I've seen are maybe mounted at street light
height, at best. Almost all of the homes up and down the sidestreets off
of Genesee are close-together, 2 story, city homes, so I don't see too
much benefit, other than maybe a couple hundred yards in each direction
the camera can 'look' up and down the street.

Some of the comments in the Buffalo City BLOG said the same thing.
Good, but not enough. What bothers me is that it seems to be deployed
over a rather large area, rather than concentrating on the high crime
areas. If this was really intended to "fight crime", it would less
uniformly distributed.

This is a Google map of the Buffalo area at approximately the same
scale as the Powerpoint slide showing the camera locations:
<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=buffalo+new+york&ie=UTF8&ll=42.913189,-78.703995&spn=0.304751,0.612488&z=11>
Looks like they got most of downtown, but none of the outlying areas.
The "terrain" view shows that the area covered is fairly flat, so
wireless should work. My guess(tm) is about 3 x 5 miles area. That's
a bit too far between nodes to do it all via wireless. My guess(tm)
is that there's lease lines (or cheapo DSL lines) involved, with very
little wireless. Cameras like to live near the street level, while
wireless likes to live on the roof tops. Wireless also doesn't do
very well shooting down urban canyons. Incidentally, I like the part
about distributing live video to mobiles.

If I have time, I'll scrape the PPT page and overlay it on a Google
Earth map for a better view of what they're doing. Here's a JPG of
the map:
<http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/buffalo-cameras/>
One problem is that the clueless PowerPoint creator mangled the aspect
ratio of the image. I had to scale it vertically 1.75 times using
Irfanview. I'm not sure that's correct. If someone has the time to
do the overlay, I would appreciate it (because I'm lazy).

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@xxxxxxxxxx
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

  • Re: Real cost ?
    ... cameras that read license plates at 300 yards. ... Some of the comments in the Buffalo City BLOG said the same thing. ... If this was really intended to "fight crime", ... too far between nodes to do it all via wireless. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Interference from unknown source?
    ... >> senders, wireless cameras etc. Microwave ovens too but i've never had a ... Are any of these surveillance cameras wireless? ... and created considerable interference. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: wireless audio mixer
    ... useful if you had several wireless mic's when making a movie. ... As a learning exercise we had four video photographers from a video club ... One of the cameras use a shotgun mic and the other ... there was a sudden change in sound when sound recorded from the shotgun ...
    (rec.video.desktop)
  • Re: wireless audio mixer
    ... useful if you had several wireless mic's when making a movie. ... As a learning exercise we had four video photographers from a video club ... One of the cameras use a shotgun mic and the other ... there was a sudden change in sound when sound recorded from the shotgun ...
    (rec.video.desktop)
  • Re: Bit OT - BBC traffic cameras - mainly for London people
    ... below their very nice interactive map to dozens of traffic cameras ... the Map ref and one can just put that into Streetmap to find almost the ... London and no hint that there are so many more available. ... crappy Radio Station site? ...
    (uk.tech.broadcast)