Re: Change from WEP to WPA?

Les wrote:
When I asked for help from Linksys tech support on setting up security, they directed me to WEP-64. I understand now that WPA is better. Is that true?

Is it difficult to change from WEP to WPA? Are they any downsides? If none, why would Linksys do this?

Thanks for any help.

Some older stuff (such as the Nintendo DS) only supports WEP. If you have
such old stuff, you may need to replace it to use WPA. But, given a
choice, WPA is *much* more secure than WEP.
--
Cheers, Bob

  • Re: Intruder in my wireless network? / intrusion detection programs
    ... a modicome of security enabled. ... Since WEP is pretty much worthless, I personally think WPA should always be ... WPA so they are still using WEP if anything at all. ... newer Access Points and Client Adapters that do support WPA can be ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Intruder in my wireless network? / intrusion detection programs
    ... Since WEP is pretty much worthless, I personally think WPA should always be ... WPA so they are still using WEP if anything at all. ... wireless networks because the older WEP cracking tools needed 5 to 10 ... newer Access Points and Client Adapters that do support WPA can be ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • RE: Cracking WEP and WPA keys
    ... Has anyone tried cracking WEP with a Cisco 1200AP? ... Subject: Re: Cracking WEP and WPA keys ... >Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: ... Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Very simple request on Linksys.
    ... telling me that WEP is more secure than WPA? ... > your house with a lab environment just to break your encryption? ... >>I looked up your router, and it supports 128 bit WEP, not WPA. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Very simple request on Linksys.
    ... telling me that WEP is more secure than WPA? ... Why not do it with WPA? ... > as WPA encryption. ... >>I looked up your router, and it supports 128 bit WEP, not WPA. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)