Re: Wireless Logon - Newbie type Question

Its called a Captive Portal.
You connect to their wireless, then open a web browser. It should
automatically take you to the logon page.
Once you logon, you can then access the internet as usual.

"Dave Lee" <DaveLeeNC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have a wireless card in my (Vista) laptop and mostly just use it on my
home wireless network.

I am now traveling and have spent a couple nights in different hotels with
"wireless internet".

In the first hotel I believe it was their problem.

In the second location I was able to connect to the hotel's router but not
able to get an internet connection. The lobby said to log in with "guest"
and "guest" (ID/PW). But I couldn't figure out how to get a logon screen.
And I didn't care much so I didn't try much.

Tonight I had the same problem (although this time they gave me an ID and
PW that made it appear like they actually managed their network to some
degree).

I mucked around with all the connection, diagnose, disconnect/reconnect
options that I could find. One finally let me to a URL specific to (from
what I can tell) whoever built this network. I could access this URL
(despite not being connected to the internet), typed in the ID/PW, and all
worked fine. I'm guessing that this URL was actually 'hosted' by the
wireless router.

Now for the question - what is the normal procedure for logging onto
semi-public networks like you find in a hotel (when they require ID/PW)?

Thanks.

dave

  • Hey Neighbor, Stop Piggybacking on My Wireless
    ... Stop Piggybacking on My Wireless ... the wireless Internet connection Christine and Randy Brodeur ... Many home network ...
    (alt.gathering.rainbow)
  • Re: Perhaps the most OBVIOUS question you will ever see.
    ... I am not saying it is a good idea to run an open wireless access ... Internet firewall in place, I would worry more about the threat from ... Packets to and from machines on the wired network are not ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: peer to peer not working but internet does.
    ... desktop to router ... File sharing is on in both and so is internet sharing. ... You may need to describe your network in detail. ... Wireless Router connected to Desktop with Ethernet Cable. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Perhaps the most OBVIOUS question you will ever see.
    ... A wireless attacker cannot "sniff" anything except other wireless ... Packets to and from machines on the wired network are not ... providing free Internet access to anyone nearby. ... my boss is under the impression that since we are ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless)
  • Re: Perhaps the most OBVIOUS question you will ever see.
    ... A wireless attacker cannot "sniff" anything except other wireless ... Packets to and from machines on the wired network are not ... providing free Internet access to anyone nearby. ... my boss is under the impression that since we are ...
    (microsoft.public.access.security)