Re: webcam for autonomous aircraft project

On Apr 5, 9:19 pm, Adam Chapman
<adam.chap...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Apr 5, 4:49 pm, "P.Schuman" <pschuman_no_spam...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Adam Chapman wrote:>
The camera is a Trendnet IP-TV301W model, specification at
http://trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=110_TV-IP301W&cat=48.

It's been interesting reading....
but was wondering why you went with a larger heavy camera
vs the tiny 2.4Ghz spycams you see advertised.

Do you only need a webcam for a visual view,
OR
is this part of the onboard autonomous navigation
and you need a "good" camera image to use for processing ?

I wanted a digital image to be processed in Matlab, which can aquire
images over an IP protocol, and is excellent software for image
processing because it is built around matrix algebra.
Also I wanted a camera that output images in digital 'pixel' format
because converiing a frame from line-tracing cameras into digital
format is very slow. In another project I am working on for the
(http://www.challenge.mod.uk/) we tried using an analogue camera on an
RC helicopter and the quality was awful- particularly we had problems
with colour synchronisation and ghosting.
The aircraft in this project is for the ESO-UAS competition (http://www.hertfordshire-connect.com/default.asp?ContentID=1234) where we are
legally allowed a UAV weighing up to 20kg! We can't make it this heavy
though because the wingspan would be ridiculous.
I wanted to put a mini-itx computer onboard to do the processing but
the weight (~2kg) was not justified.
Basically I chose a camera that had a good digital quality and allowed
tuning of parameters like frame rate, exposure time etc. I also liked
the fact that it had a serial output, which could perhaps be used on a
future aircraft to drive servos, allowing a pan/tilt system or even
the aircraft flight control system!
I'm only working towards an image recognition capability at the moment
so that's why I chose a good quality camera. I can probably take the
casing off to save some weight too. Next year I would like to develop
a visual gudance capability, which would be really cool and far more
accurate than GPS.

I think I have my antenna setup sorted- although I have another
question: If I use a 2-way splitter on the aircraft to feed the 2
antennas, will there be any problems with recieving a signal from the
ground station? What I mean is; is a splitter a bi-directioinal
component or does it only allow a signal to travel in one direction?

Adam

I think our aircraft mass is 12kg, 6m wingspan. We won't release
photos until the competition is held in June/July so other teams can't
steal our ideas. I'd be happy to fill you all in with info then
though.
I am also working on the air-to-air refuelling project but it's
nothing to do with the aircraft this thread is about.

Adam

  • Re: infra-red and mirrors
    ... I am designing an aircraft for a university project. ... If I used a series of mirrors and the camera was embedded deep within ... particularly at long wavelengths is likely to be more difficult than suitable mirrors. ...
    (sci.optics)
  • Re: Aircraft landing
    ... airport. ... As the aircraft pass I estimate they are 1 to 2 miles from ... max magnification so the slightest movement of camera and I miss it. ... Use the EVF not the screen. ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: webcam for autonomous aircraft project
    ... but was wondering why you went with a larger heavy camera ... The aircraft in this project is for the ESO-UAS competition (http:// ... Basically I chose a camera that had a good digital quality and allowed ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: infra-red and mirrors
    ... I am designing an aircraft for a university project. ... If I used a series of mirrors and the camera was embedded deep within ... but you may need to watch the material used for the mirrors. ... Glass and aluminum oxide ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Aircraft landing
    ... Use the EVF not the screen. ... This will give the camera extra stability. ... Pan the camera with the aircraft. ... taken when I was still experimenting with my first digicam, ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)