Re: DLink using bad caps?

On Mar 21, 5:32 pm, "Eric" <n...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

As I recently posted, one of my main wireless routers (DI-764 802.11a/b)
finally died completetly after six years of use. The 802.11a radio had died
a few months back, but by then I was only using the router portion of the
DI-764 as I had a WAP (DWL-7100AP 802.11a/gb) attached to it.

I've since ordered a wired router to replace the old DI-764 (waiting on it
to arrive from Newegg), but thought I would play around with the old DI-764
and see if I could actually fix the thing. Upon opening it up, I noticed
that one cap had completely bursted while another one was buldging. First
trip to a Radio Shack proved fruitless as that particular store (at a mall)
no longer sold components. The sales clerk didn't even know what a
capacitor was. She kept asking me if it was some sort of interconnect!

Anyway, today while lunch at work, I went to a regular Radio Shack and got
new caps. I then soldered the new caps onto the mainboard and the DI-764,
to me disbelief, was fully operational again!

Once I got home, I decided to look into another D-Link WAP that I have since
it has just started acting a little flakey. Sure enough, one of the caps
inside it is starting to buldge. This particular WAP has only been running
for a little over a year.

Ok, I guess I shouldn't really complain about six years of 24/7 operation,
but should they be crapping out after only a year? Is D-Link saving a few
pennies by using poor quality caps?

If you could photograph the bad caps and where they were located,
upload the photo, then readers at sci.electronics.design could
diagnose the problem.

I do salute your effort to fix the problem.

  • DLink using bad caps?
    ... The 802.11a radio had died ... DI-764 as I had a WAP attached to it. ... I've since ordered a wired router to replace the old DI-764 (waiting on it ... I then soldered the new caps onto the mainboard and the DI-764, ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: DLink using bad caps?
    ... The 802.11a radio had ... DI-764 as I had a WAP attached to it. ... I've since ordered a wired router to replace the old DI-764 (waiting on ... I then soldered the new caps onto the mainboard and the ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: P75 fishing exploration......
    ... For example, I have a radio transciever, not even that old, late 70's ... vintage all solid-state. ... Probably caps. ... Evangelical Church of the Electrolytic Capacitor ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware)
  • Re: Printer Question
    ... The printer works well with a USB and Ethernet connection but it's ... I suspect that my router is not compatible. ... Would the radio connection not be considerably slower than the cat5? ... And if I do the WPS thingy on a dd-wrt router after enabling the printers ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: AE Wi Fi Radio Installation
    ... How come you don't use DHCP? ... It can get this 'play again' stuff and it has a button for some inter activity but I got it purely as a radio, small, neat, compact and works as long as the router is on. ... It's an Arm processor running Linux so the Linux guys will hack it eventually I'm sure! ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)