Re: Accurate Broadband Speed Tests

Thanks. now all I gotta do is figure out what all that means (g).

It's pretty simple, you can't get accurate speed measurements when you're dealing with multiple networking paths. Wireless adds to the complications because it can't guarantee as reliable and predictable a connection as you'd get with a wired one. Interference or other wifi traffic makes testing it difficult.

Simple web-based "speed tests" can't show you bottlenecks between your computer and the web server hosting the test.

When you're testing you want to measure the speed of your local network, the speed to the ISP and then the speed out of the ISP. The speed TO the ISP is what your service provides. But it's useless to have a fast connection to the ISP if their upstream connections out to other hosts are swamped (aka cable companies).

  • Monitor Net Traffic
    ... I want to know what kind of bandwidth my isp is ... I have looked at a few different speed tests and I ... Often the connection is not being used at all ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Cyberterrorism [was: Re: NSA wiretap, Friday night]
    ... uniform rule to disconnect compromised machines. ... Wouldn't someone move from one ISP to another if it was really bad at ... but only obeying the terms of a statute ... needs the connection open, the ISP can open it through the proxy server. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: how to save the visitors ip addresses
    ... through the same proxy. ... In the case of the IP address identifying the server. ... The only IP visible in the header is the one assigned to your site by your ISP. ... With none having lost a connection ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: Is there a minimum dialup speed that Vista can cope with?
    ... I no longer ring Eircom ... internet/phone bundle with another ISP, UTV (Eircom just rakes in the line ... I'm keeping modem logs because the line quality fluctuates many times ... hardware/software to fail with this slow connection. ...
  • Re: DSL connection
    ... upgraded to a different speed from the same ISP. ... rate and the connection seemed to be slugish at times. ... You state that you have no router, nor any security systems that would interfere ...