Re: Securing access from an *hotspot*?

"Tel" <limersongs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1cfgj3dcrq4vr2m1p018ho7oihlqb4933o@xxxxxxxxxx
By definition *hotspots* are open networks. If I am using a hotspot,
say at McDonalds, how can I ensure my connection is safe from attack
to my laptop?

At home I am wired and safe.

software firewall. even windows firewall will do the job.

  • Re: three solutions for one Linux box
    ... software firewall + hardware firewall integrated in an ADSL router ... Define "safe". ... there's no such thing as a "hardware firewall". ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: DSL question re security....
    ... Its safe to leave it on and connected. ... I have been using DSL for over 5 ... All you need is software firewall, ... > hacking since there will be no browser activity OR would that not afford ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: How to prevent malware from running on your PC
    ... optikl wrote: ... because he believes that following pretty well established Safe ... > software firewall with application or communication control. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Two software firewalls
    ... >add a second software firewall for the added security. ... >BLACKICE or ZONEALARM PRO. ... If anyone could tell me if its safe to run 2 ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Security of the Windows XP SP2 Boot Process
    ... If a hacker steals your notebook deactivating the Windows Firewall will be ... "I know that my system is only as safe as the ... If you must protect your data then you can use something like EFS ... data since EFS in the current SP of XP uses AES 256 encryption. ...