Re: Another USER might be logged on?

"Dave_s" <group78@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:13i3n80rjdnck76@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kris wrote:
Dave_s writes:
Question:
Occasionally, when the wired desktop is turned off, XP often asks at
shutdown, "Other USERS might be logged on, do you really want to
shutdown and risk them, loosing data"?
Not sure of exact message.

Always when I am asked this question, the other two wireless PCs have
been OFF all day. Is it possible that another USER [not part of my LAN]
is really logged on?
[...]

Next time you get the message, close all your Internet-using apps and
use TCPView to see what programs have open connections.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Utilities/TcpView.mspx

If you don't share files between PCs, you can "unbind" file sharing from
the network/wireless interface.
http://sis.berkeley.edu/SIS/sis-training/security/hardening/file-sharing.htm

You say you are using WEP. WEP is just "encoding" (this alleged
"encryption" is now basically as effective as ROT13) and you must change
to WPA immediately with a non-dictionary or multi-word passphrase.

I understand the limitations of WEP. My very old router only allows WEP. I
must buy another router to use WPA.

Two of the PCs on LAN are laptops with small hard disks.
The third PC is a desktop with large hard disk. As I install [new] WIN XP
PRO on a laptop, I download files through LAN from the desktop's large
drive. I think that is file sharing. Would not be easy to move files
between PCs via LAN without file sharing. If I understand, I cannot stop
file sharing through the LAN. I may be confused, please comment.

in place of WPA -
use MAC filtering to restrict wireless access to only those systems you have
defined their Ethernet (MAC) hardware address.

If you print from the WiFi laptops via the wired machine or in other ways
touch it remotely - it will potentially show up as having other "users".

  • Re: Another USER might be logged on?
    ... Occasionally, when the wired desktop is turned off, XP often asks at shutdown, "Other USERS might be logged on, do you really want to shutdown and risk them, loosing data"? ... Always when I am asked this question, the other two wireless PCs have been OFF all day. ... Is it possible that another USER [not part of my LAN] is really logged on? ... If you don't share files between PCs, you can "unbind" file sharing from ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Home Networking XP with ME machines.
    ... > Windows XP Pro installed on it and the other family members have Windows ME. ... via cables to a Netgear Gateway RT314 router. ... that basic firewall will inhibit F&P sharing on your LAN. ... then set up file sharing and get it working. ...
  • Re: Ethernet connection problem
    ... Yet both pcs can connect to every other pc on ... It would help to know which of the machines you are having problems ... Machines with Simple File Sharing enabled force ... you try to connect using a Command window. ...
  • Re: File sharing
    ... >>localhost address and not the LAN address. ... >File sharing isn't associated with individual IP addresses. ... >associated with network connections. ... Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall ...
  • File Sharing, Broadband and NAT
    ... Recently I have made some major changes to my PC which make me think that I ... The home network has 3 PCs which have file sharing enabled on all drives ... The Share Permissions tab allows 'Network' change/read permissions. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)