Re: Trouble connecting with public hot spots

"Rick.Pearl" <Rick.Pearl@xxxxxxxxx> hath wroth:

When using public hotspots sometimes I am able to connect to an
unsecure connection, even though no passwords are required After
receiving visual signal strength, I am unable to vist any webpages or
download email. My browser tries to connect to a page and never does
so. Are these not public hotspots? Is there some other setting I need
in order to connect?

Public does not equal free. Un-encrypted does not mean wide open.

Many hot spots do not have encryption enabled. You can connect, but
you find nothing. You need to use their VPN software in order to
login, authenticate, and complete the connection. However, all of
these give you a opening splash page with instructions when you
initially connect, even without their software. It should display
something, but apparently doesn't. Have you considered asking the
"public" hotspot operator for connection instructions?

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

  • Outlook 2002 on WinXP laptop through Cisco VPN software having trouble
    ... I use a laptop and VPN software to establish a connection to my work ... in order to use email (Outlook client using exchange email). ... the exchange server is lost and re-established at random. ...
  • Does FreeSwan work with Cisco 3000?
    ... Since the version of Cisco's VPN software no longer works ... home network to our LAN at work. ... Listed below is my connection for this from /etc/ipsec.conf. ... After issuing a "ipsec setup start", ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Help needed Using Remote Desktop Connect
    ... First, if your office requires a VPN connection, then your VPN software must be loaded and logged in on your home PC. ... you need to configure your router to forward port 3390 to your home computer's IP address. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Linksys extender crashes
    ... We're not using any VPN software to connect. ... set up a network connection and entered in the FTP address to his work. ... The extender remains stable for a period of time ... > Is your partner using VPN software to connect to his company's network? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)