Re: getting good range .. - ditching USB wireless adaptor. What PCI one?

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Well, ok. However, I may have goofed using hemisphere for the
description. Hemisphere means half a sphere, which the antenna
pattern only roughly resembles. More correctly, the pattern should be
described as "spherical" rather than "hemispherical".

Darn, I was starting to like the idea of a hemisphere, because my simple
tests show that it does have a directional component. I don't think it
resembles a full sphere.

gain would be upwards from the chip antenna, and slightly forward. One
thing for sure is that it's not symmetrical.

"upwards" requires clarification.

Sorry. I tend to visualize the radio in its normal operating postion.

"normal" requires clarification ;-)

That's easy with an access point or PCMCIA card, but rather ambiguous
with a USB dongle. I'll assume that the long axis of the USB
connector on a laptop is horizontally oriented, thus placing the PCB
in the horizontal plane, and the chip antenna on the "top" of the
board, oriented "upwards" or away from the table. I realize that some
laptops have vertically oriented USB connectors, so my description
doesn't always work.

Ah, oriented as if it were plugged into the laptop, not dangling from a
cable. Okay. Now I have the picture, and your justification for that
orientation. For "gain" applications, I would always have the dongle on a
cable, maybe dangling from the rearview mirror of a car. I thought laying
it on the table seemed odd. Plugging it into a laptop might be useful. ;)

I gather that you are laying the dongle down on the table, with a cable
running along the table, toward the PC. "Up" in that reference would be
off the face of the dongle.
http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/usb-can/im000742-800x600.jpg

Correct. However, without the coffee can.

It was the only picture I had ;-)

I think there is a directional component to the DWL-122. Just taping it to
a wooden yardstick and holding it vertically, your "up" would be my
"forward". I think it had a stronger front lobe than side lobes, not
omnidirectional. Not much signal off the tip, and I don't recall getting
much signal off the "back", but I might not have checked that much.

  • Re: MMX Expected Shft.
    ... of light and if any is found, then it needs to be investigated to see if there's a pattern, orientation or direction. ... times more sensitivity than the original MMX. ... The FAQ has many references, but the most accurate and recent experiments are not yet included. ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)
  • Max/Min problem
    ... varying only in scale and/or orientation; ... that the pattern must enclose extremal area for its current ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Aspect Oriented Programming techniques
    ... > Aspectism is a Pattern, not a Paradigm or an Orientation? ... if you consider that it's orthogonal to Object Orientation... ...
    (comp.lang.cpp)
  • Re: New mac virus! "Newton"
    ... Chris Ridd wrote: ... laptop has information about the orientation of the /screen/ with ... respect to local acceleration - does the laptop have access to such ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Mukii TransImp enclosure: HD upside down
    ... I am using a Mukii TransImp enclosure for a 2.5" laptop drive. ... except that mine has an eSATA interface. ... orientation, or will this be "problematic" in any way? ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)