Re: getting good range .. - ditching USB wireless adaptor. What PCI one?

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Well, ok. However, I may have goofed using hemisphere for the
description. Hemisphere means half a sphere, which the antenna
pattern only roughly resembles. More correctly, the pattern should be
described as "spherical" rather than "hemispherical".

Darn, I was starting to like the idea of a hemisphere, because my simple
tests show that it does have a directional component. I don't think it
resembles a full sphere.

gain would be upwards from the chip antenna, and slightly forward. One
thing for sure is that it's not symmetrical.

"upwards" requires clarification.

Sorry. I tend to visualize the radio in its normal operating postion.

"normal" requires clarification ;-)

That's easy with an access point or PCMCIA card, but rather ambiguous
with a USB dongle. I'll assume that the long axis of the USB
connector on a laptop is horizontally oriented, thus placing the PCB
in the horizontal plane, and the chip antenna on the "top" of the
board, oriented "upwards" or away from the table. I realize that some
laptops have vertically oriented USB connectors, so my description
doesn't always work.

Ah, oriented as if it were plugged into the laptop, not dangling from a
cable. Okay. Now I have the picture, and your justification for that
orientation. For "gain" applications, I would always have the dongle on a
cable, maybe dangling from the rearview mirror of a car. I thought laying
it on the table seemed odd. Plugging it into a laptop might be useful. ;)

I gather that you are laying the dongle down on the table, with a cable
running along the table, toward the PC. "Up" in that reference would be
off the face of the dongle.

Correct. However, without the coffee can.

It was the only picture I had ;-)

I think there is a directional component to the DWL-122. Just taping it to
a wooden yardstick and holding it vertically, your "up" would be my
"forward". I think it had a stronger front lobe than side lobes, not
omnidirectional. Not much signal off the tip, and I don't recall getting
much signal off the "back", but I might not have checked that much.

  • Re: MMX Expected Shft.
    ... of light and if any is found, then it needs to be investigated to see if there's a pattern, orientation or direction. ... times more sensitivity than the original MMX. ... The FAQ has many references, but the most accurate and recent experiments are not yet included. ...
  • Max/Min problem
    ... varying only in scale and/or orientation; ... that the pattern must enclose extremal area for its current ...
  • Re: Aspect Oriented Programming techniques
    ... > Aspectism is a Pattern, not a Paradigm or an Orientation? ... if you consider that it's orthogonal to Object Orientation... ...
  • Re: New mac virus! "Newton"
    ... Chris Ridd wrote: ... laptop has information about the orientation of the /screen/ with ... respect to local acceleration - does the laptop have access to such ...
  • Mukii TransImp enclosure: HD upside down
    ... I am using a Mukii TransImp enclosure for a 2.5" laptop drive. ... except that mine has an eSATA interface. ... orientation, or will this be "problematic" in any way? ...