Re: getting good range .. - ditching USB wireless adaptor. What PCI one?

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hath wroth:

Perhaps I'll get it right on the 3rd try. (At home today with a fever
and mild cold. Brain is currently somewhat malfunctional).

Duh. I forgot that Netstumbler does its probe requests at the slowest
speed (1Mbit/sec). Therefore, the wireless speeds do not enter into
the puzzle when using Netstumbler. However, if you are looking at the
SNR reported by the wireless client, it should match the table plus
about 20dB. The way the access point operates is to adjust the speed
so that the error rate is reasonable.

So far, that's correct. The access point adjusts the speed so that
the *error rate* is constant, not the SNR. The SNR will vary with the
connection speed.

I'm not sure of the exact
target value, but I think 20dB is about right.

I'm not sure of the exact target value, but I think a BER of about
1*10^6 is about right.

If the error rate
creeps up, then the access point slows down the wireless speed to
compensate.

Therefore, with the access point speed set to "auto", you
should always see about 20dB or better SNR.

Therefore, with the access point speed set to "auto", you should
always see 6dB to perhaps 40dB or better SNR depending on wireless
speed.

I guess about 20dB would be a good minimum SNR for 1Mbit/sec with
Netstumbler.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

  • Re: Impact of hardware with bad SNR & Attenuation
    ... While I don't have any concrete information for higher speeds the ... Attenuation: ... It depends on the SNR that is obtained, ... be faulty so you can't always blame the modem. ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • Re: DB losses and speeds...
    ... See there isn't a corelation between SNR & speeds & BT have never ... With MAXDSL you will have to remember that there isn't a typical line ... correlation between SNR & speed, it's a mix of loop loss, SNR, errors ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • Re: Calling Bob Pullen of PlusNet...
    ... good speeds most of the time. ... Then apparently BT made some changes to the DLM and my SNR shot up to ... Your support guys now refuse to do anything about it. ... the ISP can choose the relative level of stability for your line. ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • Re: Netties wireless gone AWOL
    ... instead of it's usual value between 7200 and 7600 Kbps. ... My noise margin is 9db, ... The higher the SNR the lower your synch rate can be. ... So my actual d/l speeds were around 5900 kbps. ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: IS BT deliberately setting high noise margins to reduce exchange stress?
    ... SNR margin, and the line does indeed go faster. ... noise is low, and the noise increases, your ... better speeds, and above all it pays to put your ... The router is perfectly capable of synching much higher: Bt keeps increasing target noise margin so it wont. ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)