Re: Two wireless routers wired together

In article <1176864849.721208.296960@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Paul Zitarelli <zitarell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Here is my situation:

I rent an apartment on the first floor of a house. My landlord has his
offices upstairs. There, he has a cable modem and a Linksys WRT54GS.
That router is then connected into a wall socket using an ethernet
cable (I assume the other end is in one of the LAN ports of the
WRT54GS).

Then, on my floor, I connect my wall socket to my router, a Linksys
BEFW11S4 (Version 3). The only way my router works consistently is to
connect the wall socket to the Uplink port of my BEFW11S4. However,
it's only wired connections that work; I have never been able to get
wireless working. Because of client confidentiality, my landlord does
not want me to use his wireless connection, so I need some way to get
mine working.

Several articles explain how to set up my router as an access point. I
have tried the method described (switching the Device IP address,
disabling DHCP, changing SSID and channel), but again, things only
work using the Uplink port. I can never seem to make a direct LAN-LAN
connection (the lights on my router never come on). And I can never
get wireless working.

If you are trying to connect the LAN port of your router to the LAN port
of his router, you will need a ethernet crossover cable.

That should take care of the physical layer.

Any thoughts on where the problem might be? Or maybe a way that my
landlord could give me wireless internet access using his WRT54GS that
would not give me access to computers on his network? I really
appreciate any help!

If he's giving you access to the LAN side of his router, then he's
probably already giving you access to his network, unless he his handing
you the DMZ port.

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --

  • Two wireless routers wired together
    ... Then, on my floor, I connect my wall socket to my router, a Linksys ... Because of client confidentiality, my landlord does ... connection. ... get wireless working. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • bugged me for ages - does bridge mode work on domestic ADSL?
    ... connecting on the LAN port. ... to me by Demon. ... passes on the WAN IP address and all traffic to an ethernet based router. ... BIPAC7100 for the ADSL connection and then a Netgear FVS318 to carry out ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • Re: Wireless Networking Issue
    ... When I search for the router, ... it said connected with Limited or No Connectivity. ... landlord disabled the WEP key, and I tried to connect to the Unsecured ... to the network fine - 3 of them wirelessly. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Two wireless routers wired together
    ... he has a cable modem and a Linksys WRT54GS. ... Then, on my floor, I connect my wall socket to my router, a Linksys ... Because of client confidentiality, my landlord does ... not want me to use his wireless connection, so I need some way to get ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: What is the difference between "WAN" and "LAN" ports on a router
    ... I have a resident D-link wireless router that serves as the ... DHCP server for my entire network, ... hub in one LAN port and specific dedicated devices in the other three ... of those two DHCP servers do not overlap and seem to cause no ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)