WRT54G and 10Mb connection

Hi all,

I have a 10Mb connection via NTL connected to a Linksys WRT54G (v1.0,
Firmware 1.02.1), and only get about 6Mb max throughput. I haven't been
able to connect a PC up directly to the Cable Modem, because the Router and
Modem are downstairs and my PC is upstairs. The PC is connected via a
Linksys PCI 54G, with signal and speed never dropping below 48Mbps and Good.

If I were to upgrade the firmware to the latest, would that possibly speed
up the net speed? Also, is there a risk of "bricking" the router by
upgrading the firmware using the option in the router config?

Cheers,

Neil

  • Re: Firmware upgrade
    ... OFF other networked computers so they don't try to talk to the router during the firmware upgrade. ... it was attempting to upgrade with *BOTH* a wireless and wired connection to the router. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Firmware upgrade
    ... >In addition to upgrading firmware via "wired" connection I disconnect or turn ... >OFF other networked computers so they don't try to talk to the router during the ... >firmware upgrade. ... wireless and wired connection to the router. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: 3Com 3CRWDR100A-72 ADSL router not connecting after firmware upgrade
    ... > firmware. ... > group) I could not reload this backup config after the firmware upgrade ... > from what I remember all the other router parameter values take ... > Anyway ADSL does not sync / log on with these settings. ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • Re: My network stops
    ... Have you upgrade the driver or firmware for the NIC and router? ... Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on ...
  • Re: Linky Firmware
    ... group and saw mixed results on the upgrade. ... Firmware Date: October 24,2001 ... Fixed traceroute problem under router mode(traceroute can not ... Noticed the ZAP and PCI support came in the version just before this one ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)