Re: printer sharing and security?

Duane Arnold wrote:
"louise" <louise@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:9%KUf.731$TV1.590@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, I finally succumbed to everyone's very strong advice. I purchased a new (ebay style) Thinkpad on which I am able to use WPA security, rather than staying with WEP (which was the best I could get on my old laptop because of a bogus Windows installation).

I don't want to share files.

But I would like to use the printer which is attached to my desktop. It is an HP laser printer that only has a parallel connection. Is there a way to set up just printer sharing? I always see "file and printer sharing" and I know that for security reasons, that should stay off, so I don't know if this can be done without impairing security.

Also, I created a WPA password which has: 2 letters, 6 numbers, 2 letters, 6 numbers, 6 letters 4 numbers. Is this likely to be a hard to crack password?

If your concerned about the security of using a printer on a machine that's sharing the printer with other machines on the LAN, the get yourself a standalone printer server and connect it to a LAN port on the router and plug the printer into that. That way, it's not attached to a machine. All machines wired or wireless will be able to print to the print sever that's attached to the router. Print servers are cheap now of days.

Or if you don't want to do that and you have a NT based O/S that has the printer attached in a networking situation, then the link talks about the security setup for that situation for the NT based O/S.

http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

Duane :)

The printer in question is parallel port - can you plug that into a print server?

Thanks.

Louise

  • Re: printer sharing and security?
    ... I purchased a new Thinkpad on which I am able ... to use WPA security, rather than staying with WEP (which was ... desktop XP machines through the Win98SE machine, ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Firewall needed behind router?
    ... the good old "ptpo," or "pull the plug out." ... deciding how much security one needs and setting up accordingly. ... "Duane Arnold" wrote in message ... > the router has logging and use a logviewer like Wallwatcher, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: printer sharing and security?
    ... I purchased a new Thinkpad on which I am able ... to use WPA security, rather than staying with WEP (which was ... Is there a way to set up just printer sharing? ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • printer sharing and security?
    ... I purchased a new Thinkpad on which I am able to use WPA security, rather than staying with WEP. ... I always see "file and printer sharing" and I know that for security reasons, that should stay off, so I don't know if this can be done without impairing security. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Medium setting in IE ok for home user?
    ... Duane Arnold wrote: ... >>that are woeful in comparison. ... > A jewel from RaYzor the ZA security expert's expert. ...
    (alt.computer.security)