Re: Need Encryption Set-up Advice

Jonathan L. Parker wrote:

Incidentally, the Geek Squad guy is right that you need to do this,
especially if you're going to use the router to access your broadband,
since anyone within range of your router can use your connection if you
don't.  So if you decide you really don't want to slog through learning
how to do it yourself, it's best that you bite the bullet and hire the
job out.  Either way, get it done before you fire up the router with
the broadband modem plugged into it.

I'd add the caveat that if they're not prepared to configure WPA (& then
tell you how to set your own keys), then you might as well not do it. WEP
is simply too easy to break.
--
derek

  • Re: Set-Up Problems - Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2 - Broa
    ... problem was the broadband set up and that I was putting in the wrong IP ... Local DHCP Server - Disabled. ... I did try to change the settings on the router to PPPoE, ... the broadband connection. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Unipod Network Problem
    ... The router is not just ... left on most of time because it provides phones and broadband. ... broadband connection.. ... need for the filter in simplistic terms. ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.networking)
  • Re: Need help using a wireless printer
    ... wireless access point instead of using a "wireless" router. ... Windows XP's Internet Connection Sharing to allow wireless connected ... much simpler to wait until you have a broadband modem and router. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
  • Re: Unipod Network Problem
    ... Never having used broadband, am I right in thinking that the router is ... connection of the line as well as your likely use of it. ... From here I can use the modem as a fax modem ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.networking)
  • Re: Unipod Network Problem
    ... The router is not just ... First, I do take your points, Chris - and the points ... I suppose when using BT's latest broadband hub 'phone ... broadband connection.. ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.networking)