Re: Pls help - want to travel wirelessly and ckeck emails

SMS wrote:

Mark McIntyre wrote:

On the other hand, accidentally leaving the door open, or accidentally
failing to secure your router, does NOT mean someone has carte blanche
to walk straight in.

Very difficult to prove that leaving it open was accidental, since so
many people intentionally leave their routers open for anyone to use,
often without an obvious SSID that indicates that it's free.

There is no good analogy that anyone has come up with that applies to
individuals intentionally leaving their wireless networks open without
explicitly advertising the fact that anyone can use it. The analogies of
cars and houses are especially ridiculous.

I don't believe so. Despite someone's previous statement that if you left
the door of your house open, you wouldn't be able to charge someone with
trespass, that's just not true. They wouldn't have committed the crime of
"break and enter" (or appropriate charge under your local statutes) but an
open door does not constitute permission to enter. There's absolutely no
need for the householder to prove that leaving the door open was an
accident. _Exactly_ the same is true of computer networks. It's true of
dial-up access, and I can't see wireless access being treated differently
(though cases will occur much more frequently than they ever did with
dial-up). If you come across a wireless network that you _believe_ is
intentionally open, you would be well advised to _check_ that fact, first.
--
derek

  • Re: recieving a neighbors wireless signal
    ... > I am recieving someone elses signal in addition to my own router. ... I wanted to get the exact identity of the owner to inform the ... could care less about securing their wireless networks. ... try going door to door and asking, especially if they have an SSID that is ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: D-Link DI524 as wireless adapater for Imac?
    ... If he leaves a router unsecured, is it any more or less ... My original point was that leaving your router unsecured implies ... justification for violating an agreement is a morally bankrupt act. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Van der Sloot, dispassionately
    ... The Holloway case can't be ignored in the 22 year old life of Joran Van ... presumably leaving her in the room alone. ... Are there any other entries to the room, such as a window? ... door could give the prosecution an air-tight case. ...
    (alt.true-crime)
  • Re: Snow Leopard: si disconnette internet da solo
    ... 10.6.2, rete Lan o wireless settata con ip statico, router netgear ... ma il risultato e' sempre il solito...mi sta facendo impazzire! ... Cosa significa "Reason 8 (Disassociated because station leaving)"? ...
    (it.comp.macintosh)
  • Re: A better way of ripping CDs in iTunes
    ... > For detecting anyone leaving thee room, I guess you could do it with a PIR ... > motion detector? ... > signal leveel when the door was closed. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)