Re: WinXP Wireless

"momo2804@xxxxxxxxx" <momo2804@xxxxxxxxx> hath wroth:

I'm not sure of the exact nature but my role is to minimise the setup
time for the workstations so I need to somehow come up with a way to
configure all the SSIDs automatically for all the 6000+
workstations.......... ;-(

If all 6000+ workstations use the exact same wireless adapter, this
might be possible. However, I doubt it. The registry key is usually
located under the manufacturers ID such as:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORiNOCO\Driver
The SSID is in plain text, but the WEP and WPA keys are normally
encrypted. I've never tried transplanting a WEP/WPA registry key
entry between machines but suspect it might not work.

Windoze has a variety of deployment tools. Back in the daze of NT, I
was using MS SMS (system management suffer) to deliver updates to
workstations and sometimes install entire applications. It barely
worked and screwed up badly on 3rd party applications (i.e. anti-virus
software).

MS Server 2003 adds something similar with RIS (remote installation
services) in addition to MS SMS. I know zero about how it all works.
See:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Customizing-Unattended-Setup.html
for clues.

Drivel: In the distant past, I've done some IP renumbering exercises
when two corporations merged. About 300 boxes in 3 locations. There
were some futile attempts to automate the process that were doomed
from the start by the wide variety of operating systems and
configurations. Instead, we just arranged a printed "script", found
as many college students as possible, did a dry run, and eventually
ruined a weekend juggling IP addresses. It worked well.

One of the IT managers mantra was "Never automate anything you only do
once". Methinks he was right.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

  • RW: Setting default address list?
    ... that registry key and check the binary value. ... value for each Address book you might be able to automate a solution. ... > address book as the default search location? ... > If you open the Outlook Address book you always get the Global Address ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange2000.clients)
  • Re: AD Group
    ... Joey schrieb: ... workstations as staff are added to this AD Group and removed from this AD group. ... I know that there is a way to automate this process if anyone can help it would be appreciated. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: Inventory Scout and MDT
    ... Nobody here is familar with Inventory Scout and Microcode Discovery ... hardware/MC levels from approximately 1000 workstations. ... can I automate this process and dynamically make the webpage. ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Automate adding Windows XP workstations from workgroup to AD domai
    ... More importantly, once these workstations are on the domain, migrate the ... profile names do not match the naming convention their AD accounts will use. ... The accounts will be in place prior to adding the workstations to the domain. ... but can I use it or something like it to automate the migration if there is ...
  • Show My Comptuer icon on desktop
    ... Is there a way (Via registry key or vbscript) to show this icon on the ... I am trying to automate this for our build process. ...