Re: Cordless phones over your wireless network

"smaye" <smaye@xxxxxxxxx> hath wroth:

Bottom line is I got a quote from AVAYA at $14K.

Ouch. However, commodity VoIP phones are currently $200-$250/ea.
That's still fairly expensive.

Although I am sure it
would work great it seemed high and also appeared to be recreating a
wireless network that we already have installed for data. It would be
almost impossible to justify the cost.

If the Avaya wireless also works on 2.4Ghz, you will have an
interfernce problem with your existing network.

My thinking is this. We currently have standard cordless analog
phones. they are connected to the switch on analog ports. My thought
was that if we had a phone that could be picked up and understood by
our wireless access points we could bring the signal out at the router
(somehow) and send this to these analog ports.

Yeah, but that's not taking advantage of digital audio (VoIP). Once
you have a digital version of the audio, there's no sane reason to
convert it back to analog until it his the caller at the other end.
For example, the Asterisk based switch never converts anything to
analog. It goes via a T1 to some IP telephony gateway service
provider which dumps it into the PSTN (public switched telephone
network). Think digital, not analog.

I got the idea from looking at my VOIP phone at home. If I had a
cordless phone that could communicate to my wireless router, the VOIP
adapter is on one of it's ports.

Again, you're thinking analog. You VoIP phone at home is digital all
the way to Vonage or whomever you're using. You could plug an analog
cordless phone into it's phone jack. You could also eliminate the
VoIP box completely and have it in the VoIP 802.11 phone. That's what
I think you need or want. The benifit is that it uses your existing
IP network.

The output of this adapter is plugged
in to my wall phone jack. Couldn't this output just plug in to my
analog ports on my PBX switch?

Yes, but as I previously mumbled, it's silly to do that. Go digital
all the way to the PSTN.

This stuff may be second nature to all of you. I just am new to it.

Actually no. Wireless VoIP is a new technology with new products and
proposed standards just coming out. I expect it to be popular because
people can use them to make free phone calls via public Wi-Fi hot
spots and not pay the cellular providers. You would be doing the same
thing, except you already have a Wi-Fi network on which it runs.

Are there phones out there designed to communicate through an existing
wireless network?

http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=489
http://www.zyxel.com/product/P2000W.php
http://www.teletronics.com/voipwifi.html
http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/calypso_wireless_c1250i_wifi-gsm_voip_cellular_phone.html
http://web.net2phone.com/partnerships/distributors/product/broadband/xj100.asp

Light reading:
http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2005/voIP_WiFi.asp
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

  • Re: IP Intercom
    ... I am using Voip phones and forwarded the ... One major problem is intercom communication since my wife's home office is ... Anyone know of a quick solution wired or wireless with Linksys wireless G ... What is your current network and VoIP setup? ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: [Telecom] Analog cell-phone network going off air
    ... they transition from their car phones to cellular phones? ... network is turned off, given the proliferation of wireless technology. ... will maintain its analog network alongside a digital one "for ...
    (comp.dcom.telecom)
  • TidBITS#785/27-Jun-05
    ... Jeff Carlson continues his exploration of computerized poker ... and Adam examines both the Canary Wireless ... Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack Pro ... A Canary in the Network ...
    (comp.sys.mac.digest)
  • Re: Linksys NAS200 Network Storage adapter
    ... The only two wireless network settings that are of any consequence are the SSID and the encryption method and password. ... either click the "Print Network Settings" button on the final screen of the Wizard or simply access the appropriate XML file and get at them that way and then use the information to configure the router manually as I explained earlier. ... I've read thru some of the MS web site on that product and it appears to do everything a NAS will do plus other cool features, such as, with an xbox360 with the wireless adapter, I can stream my video/pics to my TV for family viewing. ...
  • [NMRC Advisory] Microsoft Windows Wireless Exposure on Laptops
    ... Application: Wireless Network Connection ... This advisory documents an anomaly involving Microsoft's Wireless Network ... If a laptop connects to an ad-hoc network it can later start ... This is known as a Link-Local address, and by default Link-Local is turned on on all Windows platforms on all interfaces, including wireless interfaces. ...
    (Bugtraq)