Re: Can excessive downloading mess up the router?

In article <j060u192vkq0g3n8dkjkkpm0md3nd24lnd@xxxxxxx>, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>John Navas <spamfilter0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hath wroth:
>
>>>WRT54G v5 latest firmware includes:
>>>Firmware 1.00.6
>>>- Resolves issues with instability when using Bittorent  <=====!!!
>
>>Translation:  It never occurred to us, even after all this time, that you
>>might actually push the darn thing a bit.
>
>Worse than that.  Linksys apparently went to the lowest bidder for the
>latest round of WRT54G hardware mutations.  Instead of the
>evolutionary, Linux based, time test, and debugged firmware, they went
>to a totally new vendor that scribbled something different in VxWorks.
>V5 is effectively a totally new product, complete with starting up the
>learning curve from zero.  It's not just the lack of load testing.
>It's that Linksys doesn't have a clue what users actually do with the
>products.

I'm not sure they don't know what users do with them, I think they are
trying to ensure they don't hurt their Cisco biz. I know the products are
not comparable, but look how many use MS Access (or try) instead of SQL
Server or Oracle. Linksys/Cisco face a similar 'problem' and their solution
is to make sure that you can't 'make do'. For heavy loads, use Cisco...

>>That's one.  Most of the other routers I've tested (Netgear, D-Link, etc.)
>>have had no problem with BitTorrent.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

  • Re: Linksys WRT54G and 54GS versions 5 and versions 6
    ... He's using old firmware. ... linksys switched to a different operating system -- VxWorks. ... The V5 and V6 router are also somewhat different hardware. ... my neighbor is running a WRT54G v5 using the Linksys ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Networking (File Sharing) Problems
    ... There's a later version of the firmware available on the Linksys web ... You're WRT54G isn't up to date and your Windoze XP Pro is ... What happens when you take the wireless out of the picture ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Linksys WRT54GS - which version?
    ... Be aware that there is a WRT54G <-- note no S, ... Interesting that you seem to confuse hardware versions with firmware ... fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: SBS Backup notification.
    ... Owen Williams [SBS MVP] wrote: ... The LinkSys firmware works well (now ... Finding some disturbing information about the current Linksys wrt54g ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Linksys WRT54GS - which version?
    ... I suggest people get the older models of WRT54G (walmart has em ... Interesting that you seem to confuse hardware versions with firmware ... There are indeed hardware versions of the GS ... fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)