Re: wireless network

On 23 Nov 2005 17:52:40 -0800, suresh739@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>hi guys i have sony laptop. I have connected to internet via wireless
>network connection. On wireless icon i shows that it is connected but i
>am unable open any webpage. All it throughs an error saying that search
>page couldn't be opened. Can any help me out?

Nope. Can't help you. That's because you didn't bother to supply the
model of the Sony, the operating system you're using, what make and
model wireless router you have, and how you connect to the internet.
Also what program owns the "wireless icon". In other words, the
limited information you supplies is terminally vague and insuffient to
supply a guess.

Well, actually, I do have a very bad guess. My crystal ball is back
from the service shop. It tells me that you're using WEP encryption
with an ASCII WEP encryption key. Some routers and clients have
problems translating the ASCII encryption key into Hexydecimal.
Windoze XP offers no diagnostics beyond a stupid "limited
connectivity" error and will not tell you that the encryption key was
rejected by the router. Use a Hex key, and it should work.

--
Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
831.336.2558 voice

  • Re: internet connection problem
    ... The details you list are separate from having an active internet ... connection. ... The Wireless icon is simply indicating the Radio ... The status page will show your Internet ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • wireless network
    ... I have connected to internet via wireless ... network connection. ... On wireless icon i shows that it is connected but i ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Gateway address needed
    ... realised you could get a connection without). ... have that the intermediate step of negotiating an encryption key has ... progress info. ... the encryption key twice. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • RE: Explorer wont acknowledge internet connection
    ... The wireless icon in the Notification tray always showed a connection, ... correctly identified the name of the router and said there was a good signal. ... If you double click Your Wireless Icon on the Notification tray you will see ... all available Wireless network one of them your network, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Laptop not connecting to the Wireless
    ... Ethernet adapter Local area connection: ... it doesnt show the wireless icon on the task bar (in teh lower rihgt ...