Re: Encryption incompatibility

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:22:42 +0100, in alt.internet.wireless ,
"Christian McArdle" <cmcardle75@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Does anyone maintain a list of incompatible wireless cards?
>
>I have just bought a cheap Edimax PCI 54g card and a cheap Actiontec ADSL
>router.
>
>Everything else I've got interfaces fine with the router, including a
>Linksys USB 11Mb, the built in 54g module in an Acer laptop, an old Buffalo
>11Mb PC card and my printer server (also Edimax). They all work up to the
>level of security for which they were originally designed.
>
>Unfortunately the Edimax PCI card will only talk unsecured (which works
>fine). It won't work with 64bit or 128bit WEP or WPA. They just say
>"Acquiring network address" for several minutes and end up with a crappy
>169.x address.

most likely you just have the key input in the wrong format. Some
vendors use ASCII, some use hex, some use passphrases etc etc. Its a
bit of a lottery getting it right,

>Have I any chance of getting this card to work, or should I just send it
>back and try another make?

Sure, it;ll work - if its wifi certified it more or less has to - but
it might take a while to figure out the format.
--
Mark McIntyre

  • Encryption incompatibility
    ... I have just bought a cheap Edimax PCI 54g card and a cheap Actiontec ADSL ... Everything else I've got interfaces fine with the router, ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Event Error 32003 IPNATHLP & KB 293497
    ... that looks exactly like a physical card in one of the PCI slots on the MoBo would look like. ... The wire from the router would be stuck in the RJ-45 port of the card, ... D-Link DFE-690 TXD CardBus PC Card – Packet Scheduler Miniport ... Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection...
  • Re: what do i need to wirelessly network my house
    ... wireless router and a wi-fi card for your PC. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Misc OSX qs
    ... Such as some apps quit when you use the red button, ... In XP I can set a priority list for WiFi networks and I was ... issues between WiFi card make / model and my Fritz router ... Funnily I've recently replace the same make / model of card in a mates ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Cheapest home network solution?
    ... >>got one USB DSL modem, ... >>since there's already an antenna on the wireless router? ... HomePNA adapter for each computer (comes either as a PCI card or USB), ... You're going to need a WiFi router connecting the ICS host ...