Re: google rank on individual pages

"darnel" <Sandy.Pittendrigh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

John Bokma wrote:
First thing: make all your URLs SEO friendly.

This is an issue I wish I understood better.
It's not theoretically hard to use mod_rewrite, for instance, to hide
parameter-driven urls, and make them appear more like
static links, but for large complex sites
doing so can be a major programming chore (when pages
and links are generated from code, then you have
to rewrite code).

Yes, but that's not hard. I'll write an article on it in January, but
what I basically would do:

Add an additional parameter to each URL (wait...)

Check in the script that's called if the extra parameter is there, if
not:
create a "nice URL", and 301 to the nice URL

Make each nice URL redirect (mod_rewrite, *internal*) to the script
*with* the additional parameter.

As for the nice URL, I took darnel's example:

script.php?id=123&category=tools&item_type=chainsaw

id = product id, look this up in the database, and get the description
category is clear
item_type, ditto,

( I dropped the zip code, since that probably shouldn't get into google)

so, the new URL could become:

/tools/chainsaws/short-description-of-the-item/

By adding an extra column to the "id" table, or making sure there is a
short description already, and having an index on it (unique), the
program can look up the id based on the short-description-of-the-item.

Only thing that needs to be taken care of is to find a function that
translates each short description to a correct URL part, and an inverse
which does the opposite.

Or to make things easier, you can store the URL part in the table as
well.

.........And many parameter driven URLs DO end up indexed.
How does one quantify the advantage?

If the site is still "growing" this might be difficult to measure
exactly.

--
John Need help with SEO? Get started with a SEO report of your site:

--> http://johnbokma.com/websitedesign/seo-expert-help.html
.