Re: html/xhtml

"John Bokma" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:Xns97A0AC959F4C5castleamber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Catherine Milton" <pecan.nospam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I haven't created the page, I'm still playing with it.

It's hard to answer a question based on "playing".

There's a site
called www.csszengarden.com which gives a whole lot of examples of how
CSS can enhance your site, so after playing with their examples I
found that there's a way of layering using id, which will allow me to
put my conetent first, and still have the pictures and links appearing
above them.

If you think a SE bot cares about order, you're mistaken IMO. It's an old
SEO myth that you have to order your content. Just a quick peek at several
sites show that this is bs.

I couldn't work out how they did it, exactly, so I then
found another site http://www.echoecho.com/css.htm which shows you how
to create the layers, simply put. Actually, very good for the
layperson. I took their example and applied it on my page, but it
wouldn't work. I then removed the doctype from the top of the page,
and it worked. As their example didn't show a doctype I tried to find
out what doctype it was, and have found that xhtml works. Hence the
desire to find a way of layering with html.

You probably want to read on float, positioning and CSS.

Here's the code.... it works without a doctype, but doesn't with doctype
html4.

<head>
<title>try</title>
/*<![CDATA[*/
#layer1 {position:absolute; left:100;top:100; z-Index:0}
#layer2 {position:absolute; left:140;top:140; z-Index:1}

/*]]>*/

</head>
POSITIONED AT 100,100</td>
POSITIONED AT 140,140</td>

None of this answers the question about html vs xhtml. What happened to the
maxim: no question is a stupid queston?

Catherine

  • Re: Opera Bug: need help
    ... >> Your doctype triggers quirks mode in most browsers. ... >> strict coding with a matching doctype, dump the mixup between XHTML and ... so your reply suggests me that is not suitable in HTML. ... Positioning is tricky to get right, budding CSS authors often make the ...
    (alt.html)
  • Re: Favorite form controls for multivalues
    ... in css and html and a series of divs for each row and column is far ... Since I never really did a lot of table layout until I worked on some ... So, even if one is forced to use html sans DOCTYPE, would you still ...
    (comp.databases.pick)
  • CSS Newbie - CSS Works With Invalid DOCTYPE. Fails With Valid DOCTYPE.
    ... Long ago, in another century, I was a moderately competent HTML novice. ... I was happy with my progress, until I realized that I had a typo in my DOCTYPE statement. ... This is the DOCTYPE for the page that has a working CSS: ... W3C Markup Validation Service complains about the invalid "<" character in the DOCTYPE, of the page that displays properly. ...
    (alt.html)
  • Re: CSS Newbie - CSS Works With Invalid DOCTYPE. Fails With Valid DOCTYPE.
    ... Long ago, in another century, I was a moderately competent HTML novice. ... This is the DOCTYPE for the page that has a working CSS: ... When the CSS file is served up as "text/css" Mime Type, as required it is accepted by the browser as such, however, in your case it is served up as "text/plain" Mime Type and therefore no stylesheet is presented to the document. ...
    (alt.html)
  • Re: html/xhtml
    ... CSS can enhance your site, so after playing with their examples I ... As their example didn't show a doctype I tried to find ... You probably want to read on float, positioning and CSS. ... None of this answers the question about html vs xhtml. ...
    (alt.internet.search-engines)