Re: how many pages from a site can be ranked high?

Borek wrote:

> Interesting thing happened.

> One of the words I have optimized one of my pages for is
> "dyslektyk".
> Not very competitive SERP, so I was able to position it as #3
> and #4 (almost without IBLs, just on-page optimization) with two
> pages:

> (a)
> (b)

> That was situation last week. Then I decided that the page (b) -
> which is an entry point for someone looking for my program - is
> not designed for conversion. So I added new page:

> (c)

> that is (hopefully) more 'catchy'. KW density and internal links
> are almost identical as for old page. Google spidered new page few
> days ago and yesterday it appeared in the SERPS - replacing page
> (b) on the #4. So far everything looks logical. What is really
> interesting is that page (b) - not modified - DISSAPEARED form
> the first 500!

> The only explanation I can think of is that in some situations
> there is a limit set on the number of pages displayed from one
> domain for one KW. Any other ideas?

I bet what happened was: Google decided that you have just updated your
existing page. Their bot has problems reading URLs containing query
variables. In your case the first did not change at all:
?left=dyslektyk-2, and only the second one (right=...) changed. They
decided, and I believe rightfully so, that it's a secondary parameter that
does not create a whole new page and maybe only used for tracking purposes
or something similar. In this case I would absolutely use mod_rewrite and
make them appear as two different static URLs. If for whatever reason you
cannot use mod_rewrite, just try to swap the first and the second
parameters. In most cases they are able to read first parameter OK, so
they will get the idea that it's a different page. I don't believe the
sequence of query variable matters for your script, so you don't have to
do any adjustments to the script.

See Site Sig Below

Article posted with Web Developer's USENET Archive
Web and RSS gateway to your favorite newsgroup - - 16282 messages and counting!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Easiest/quickest method for very simple interfaces?
    ... T would be backwards-combatible with the Horse Interface they were used ... >> line and invoke that script. ... The First Rule of Program Optimization: ... The Second Rule of Program Optimization: ...
  • Re: Help: how to run programs on a remote machine with Perl script...
    ... My main program generates the input file to optimization. ... My main program call the Perl script and do the following: ...
  • Re: Program effeciency due to comments..
    ... >>o optimizing program flow ... >>the speed of a script (last week I sped up a script by a factor ... you much time did you spend on optimization? ... o periodical runs (e.g. a daily accounting batch run): ...
  • Re: Program effeciency due to comments..
    ... > William Park wrote: ... you much time did you spend on optimization? ... > course much longer than the run time of the script. ... Linux solution for data management and processing. ...