Re: Table. Getting OT but possibly applicable in the future.

Ben C wrote:
On 2009-07-21, dorayme <doraymeRidThis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In article <jVh9m.6509$ze1.1045@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"rf" <rf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm a little tired myself. Been exhibiting at a television trade
show all day long surrounded by display systems that would blow
your mind. One of them even in three D. A girl reaches out of the
screen to hand you something and my associate actually put his hand
out to recieve it. We had to go for a quiet beer to recover. And
the word is that these things will be domestic in three to five
years!

That threatens a theory someone has been putting to me for a while:
movies will keep ahead of TV and home theatre by going 3-D.

If you watch normal TV without moving your head and with one eye shut,
and tell yourself it's 3D, it looks 3D, and better than any
stereographic 3D demos I've seen (although I wasn't at rf's show). Try
it, it really works.

For stereographic displays to work you also have to not move your head
by the way.

Not so. I was one of a group of probably ten people watching the demo. We
were all walking around chatting and having a good look and admiring how the
effect was so excellent and cross-examining the presenter. This is a demo of
equipment that is on the very leading edge of technology, on the Sony stand.

However, as a humerous example, when the credits rolled they appeared to be
about half a metre in front of the screen. I had the urge to walk around to
the side to look behind them. Didn't work of course, the credits remained
exactly where they were, half a metre from the screen, exactly between the
screen and me.

BTW it *is* real 3D. A different image is presented to each eye, shot by two
different cameras seperated by some distance I don't know. Just like at the
theatre.

Looking at the screen without the special circularly polarized glasses one
can actually see two superimposed images, with the details seperated by
anything up to a couple centimetres, like bad ghosting from the old analogue
days.

.