Re: paragraphs vs breaks

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:49:54 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:

Harlan Messinger wrote:

Jim S wrote:
tags.
Since the latter involves 'before and after' line formatting, it seems to
be taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
I'm sure there must be a reason, but I can't see it.
Explain please.

Paragraphs are paragraphs and should be marked as paragraphs. Things
that aren't paragraphs, shouldn't be.

I think if you look at Jim's...uh..."paragraph", above, you'll see why
he's unsure of the concept. Even without consideration of markup, using
plain text, his use of a newline after every period (full stop; sentence)
shows confusion about the whole concept of the paragraph.

Why do you think this is a sledgehammer? I'm not sure what you mean by
"before and after line formatting", but if you're referring to the
vertical margin between paragraphs, that's a normal way to arrange
paragraphs. If you'd rather indent the first line of your paragraphs and
not have a margin between them, use CSS to change their layout.

See above.

Blinky you are a tit.
No-one writes paragraphs in usenet, because each newsreader displays text
in its own peculiar way.
I came here as usual for help, but it's very scarce.
If my pages would be 'better' for the use of paragraphs then I might use
them, but I was looking for someone to explain why. I can and do use
paragraphs where continuous text is involved, but that is not where the
criticism was directed.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

  • Re: How to search for (and select) paragraphs with certain format parameters
    ... For Each oPara In ActiveDocument.Paragraphs ... Put the cursor in one of the bulleted paragraphs in question and all ... You can set up multilevel/outline bullets via that same dialog box. ... So invoked the Reveal Formatting pane from ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Saving Text With Bullets and Numbering to Access Database
    ... paragraphs and apply the style. ... Now create a style that includes numbering, and have Replace also apply that style ... you could record a macro to get the basic syntax you require. ... >>> formatting marks for bullets and numbering so is it possible that I can save ...
    (microsoft.public.office.developer.vba)
  • Re: Setting single line spacing in word 2008
    ... But at least you've made an informed decision on the matter... ... Once again, I agree in principle, but Space Before/After Paragraphs is *not* ... a Preference, it's a formatting attribute:-) Why is it any easier to go to ... After to 0 - or do it through the Formatting Palette? ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
  • Re: Spacing Issue
    ... Control of leading (Line Spacing as well as Spacing Before/After Paragraphs) ... The true single space is not immediately available in the ... need clean copy files with no formatting to import into my grpahics docs. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
  • RE: Repeating Loop Until End of Document
    ... "Cindy Meister" wrote: ... One more question, then, to be really sure: Are these lines or paragraphs? ... Sub Format16Pt() ... the Goto command and then formats that line with paragraph formatting Exactly ...
    (microsoft.public.word.vba.general)