Re: cross-browser right sidebar

Make them (the left divs) overflow: auto (or hidden) so they become
block formatting contexts.

I used 'overflow: auto' for the left divs and it's looking
great in FF but not in IE7 in which the right div isn't floating at
all but, rather, pushing the left divs down the page. Any ideas why
that might be?

Thanks for your help!!

David

  • Re: table alike lay out (two columns dynamic width)
    ... Two divs of equal height and undefined width next to each other with a ... he can use overflow: auto instead. ... In which case display: table-cell is the proper solution for data that ... is not tabular but which you want displayed like a table. ...
    (comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets)
  • Re: table alike lay out (two columns dynamic width)
    ... Two divs of equal height and undefined width next to each other with a ... if there is any content that cannot wrap like long urls, ... he can use overflow: auto instead. ... Use a table or one of those border/background tricks depending ...
    (comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets)
  • How do I center divs in IE?
    ... I have 4 DIVs defined as follows: ... margin-left: auto; ... margin-right: auto; ... border:1px solid black; ...
    (comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets)
  • Re: Cant get DIV height to 100%
    ... and am having problems with DIVS. ... Percentages are ignored when the container has an auto height. ... It can be done with absolute positioning. ... to leave heights as auto and just go with the flow. ...
    (alt.html)
  • auto value question..
    ... at work they decided to center divs thus: ... this works fine in IE & FF, EXCEPT in FF it doesn't work if I change 'auto' to 0 for left and right margin values; I have to leave those at 'auto'.. ... so I would like to know what exactly means 'auto' -- what value it represents exactly (and does it apply for all elements/values you might apply 'auto' to?) ... (please don't tell me I should do this differently, I don't think they will change the template at this point.. ...
    (comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets)