Re: alt text

On 2008-04-13, Allodoxaphobia <bit-bucket@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:16:59 -0400, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:34:43 +0100, Toby A Inkster wrote:
dorayme wrote:

It is an American thing, I understand, that "alternate" can be used as
an alternative to "alternative"
Indeed. Outside the US, alternate means, as a verb "to switch between
alternatives" and as an adjective it roughly means "every second" (by
"second", I mean the ordinal of two, not the unit of time).

verb e.g.: I like to alternate between ham sandwiches and cheese
sandwiches for lunch.

noun e.g.: I have ham and cheese in my sandwiches on alternate lunches.

*That* is an adjective.

Correct, noun e.g.: If John cannot make it then Sam will be the alternate.

I believe that is still an adjective.

"Sam will be the alternate juror."
"Sam will be the alternate." --
where, "juror" is the _implied_ object of the sentence and
"alternate" is the modifier.

But you don't use adjectives like that. You don't say "this is the red"
instead of "this is the red car", but "this is the red one" (pronoun).

  • The fine art of reading - was [Re: Human hearing instataneous dynamic rage?]
    ... Lets parse the original subject line, ... That can be used as a noun or an adjective. ... four adjectives modifying one noun - unlikely. ... "Dynamic range" is a common term and meaning seems clear. ...
    (comp.dsp)
  • Re: Did we fight two world wars so that Britain could be destroyed from within?
    ... are used as adjectives, they become adjectives. ... martials'. ... That's because 'court' is the noun and 'martial' is the adjective. ... Technology will be viewed as relics of an age gone past that no one ...
    (uk.politics.misc)
  • Re: Need the specific term
    ... I tinkered with a notion of "Howard Hughes" but realize some will ... descriptive adjectives provide enough meaning for understanding. ... "Jesus" is a noun which will impart a descriptive notion to a majority ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: FAQ 2.5 quibble
    ... an adjective, not a noun, and it's pronounced differently than the noun: ... adjectives there. ... (There are many Japanese words, ... words from Chinese dialects, ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: SCWC 18 final report
    ... of Azed, Crossword Club, The Times, or the Crossword Centre. ... competitions are judged by strict Ximeneans who would almost certainly ... cardinal (as a noun) which is solely a church rank. ... leaders of people but in this case they are not adjectives and cannot ...
    (rec.puzzles.crosswords)