Re: alt text

Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:16:59 -0400, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:34:43 +0100, Toby A Inkster wrote:

noun e.g.: I have ham and cheese in my sandwiches on alternate lunches.
*That* is an adjective.
Correct, noun e.g.: If John cannot make it then Sam will be the alternate.

I believe that is still an adjective.

"Sam will be the alternate juror." "Sam will be the alternate." --
where, "juror" is the _implied_ object of the sentence and
"alternate" is the modifier.

Yes it could be, but also one can be an alternate (noun) Dictionaries list that it can indeed be a noun:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/alternate
alternate - Definitions from Dictionary.com

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

  • Re: the case of the conjoined NP
    ... gnenian wrote: ... person and then 1st person then Sam as a noun understood as equivelent to the third person should come first. ... If 2nd person were included it would change to you, sam and I went home. ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: Second language proficiency and taxonomic relationship
    ... John> plural persons. ... (Of course the terms 'past/present' participle are just stupid ... 2nd, so the participle still looks like a noun, even though one which takes complements. ... Many years ago I said some adjective had become a noun and someone objected 'what part of speech was it before becoming a noun?', with the implication that adjectives were some kind of nouns. ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: "Oxygen" = "acid producer" redux
    ... the situation with Chinese numerical classifiers ... John> isn't all that much different though. ... John> isolating language, the number, classifier, and noun are all ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: Names again
    ... is simply a word-form. ... John" is an appropriate paraphrase, and the name does not refer. ... persons referred to by (the noun) 'John' is that they have the name ...
    (sci.lang)
  • OT: Language/omnivores take note
    ... P. Gilliver (John)" writes ... in Beijing". ... medal is a noun and NOT a verb. ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)