Re: alt text

Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:34:43 +0100, Toby A Inkster wrote:
dorayme wrote:

It is an American thing, I understand, that "alternate" can be used as
an alternative to "alternative"
Indeed. Outside the US, alternate means, as a verb "to switch between alternatives" and as an adjective it roughly means "every second" (by "second", I mean the ordinal of two, not the unit of time).

verb e.g.: I like to alternate between ham sandwiches and cheese sandwiches for lunch.

noun e.g.: I have ham and cheese in my sandwiches on alternate lunches.

*That* is an adjective.

Correct, noun e.g.: If John cannot make it then Sam will be the alternate.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO