Strange IE issue

I have a site that renders fine in Firefox and Opera but I am seeing some very strange things in IE (surprise...). None of my navigation is visible; it's there, if you mouse over where it should be you can click on the hyperlink, you just can't see the hyperlink. This is happening on two different navigation lists. My graphics are not showing up either, if you mouse over them you will see the contents of the alt tag, but the graphic itself is not visible. The page will not center in IE or maintain the width that I set for it.

I have put the index.html and the style_1.css pages through the W3C Validator and I am getting this issue with the html page:

"Line 10, Column 6: end tag for "HEAD" which is not finished.

</head>

Another possibility is that you used an element which requires a child element that you did not include. Hence the parent element is "not finished", not complete. For instance, in HTML the <head> element must contain a <title> child element, lists (ul, ol, dl) require list items (li, or dt, dd), and so on."

I can not find anything that I have done wrong with the <head> tag, not sure what I am missing. There is also an ID error, I know what that is, I just need to figure out how to fix it and still get the effect that I want. I did delete that issue temporarily and it did nothing to fix the issue however.

My CSS came out clean with the exception of a *html hack that is in there for IE.

This is all very strange to me and I have been staring at it without any success. If someone else could check it out I would certainly appreciate it.

http://www.policy.hu/asrar/index.html

Thanks for your time,

Todd

  • Re: BeautifulSoup : why does "string" not give me the string?
    ... I am using BeautifulSoup to parse some HTML and I came across something ... strange. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • BeautifulSoup : why does "string" not give me the string?
    ... I am using BeautifulSoup to parse some HTML and I came across something ... strange. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Feedback/critique my website please?
    ... Can you tell us how you learned HTML? ... In the left-column navigation, 'little kids' is the only navigation link on the page that does not start with a capital letter. ... On the other hand, if the display is increased to 1024 X 768 and the window is maximized, the paragraph text expands nicely to fill the available space. ... I looked at the page with a text-only browser and things looked pretty good, except I could not find the "learn more" links at the end of each paragraph. ...
    (alt.html)
  • Re: How to validate HTML 4.01 Transitional!
    ... Webmasters should be very concerned with HTML validation, ... FrontPage's shared borders, themes, navigation, and other proprietary ... While it is terrific that you are trying to make a page that validates ... clients using their hex value of the words "Microsoft Border", ...
    (microsoft.public.frontpage)
  • Re: What is this called (newbie ?)?
    ... Now enclose the text in HTML Elements. ... it looks through the HTML for special Directives and acts upon them. ... One column contains navigation, the other is an area in which the result of that navigation is to appear. ... In your case, one frame would contain the navigation, which, when activated, would place the appropriate content into the other frame. ...
    (comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets)