Re: My Two Columns Revisited

Ben C wrote:
On 2007-03-19, aljones <al@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<<snipped>>

Could you all take a look at http://aljones.us/ab and tell me please,

The url seems to have stopped working.
My host sometimes to be a little intermittent ... not good but cheap.

why I now have a blank line showing up above the banner. It appears differently in FF and Opera but it's there in both. It came when I got the H1 text correctly centered horizontally - I've looked at that again and again as I've put the second page together, but I can't see where it comes from.

But I remember the blank line, it's quite an interesting one.
NO IT'S NOT! It's frustrating as all getout!

It's a collapsed margin. The <h1>'s top margin is collapsed with the top
margin of body, even though there are two floats between the <h1> and
the top of body. They're not "in the flow" remember.
Ah, I think I understand that - from FF it was obvious that it was the H1, but I could see why.

That's a really tricky situation to lay out so I'm not surprised if
you're getting different results between browsers, although I think FF
gets it right.

If you want to get rid of the blank line, just give #banner padding-top:
1px.
and of course it worked like a charm, thanks.

//al

  • typeof for feature testing host methods
    ... host object methods. ... I have usually just feature tested the existence ... some browsers it may be that some other JavaScript has assigned a non- ... Both Thomas' and David's feature testing uses typeof for testing host ...
    (comp.lang.javascript)
  • Re: SET HOST/LAT and cut and paste with DECwindows
    ... decterm with data already received and in decterm's buffer. ... Could it be because LAT implements no flow control and assumes that the host ... My guess is that the remote host is sending data via LAT to the local host as ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: MICROSFT WINDOWS Host process for windows services stopped wor
    ... Host Process for Windows ... HP Digital Imaging Monitor has stopped working ... Host Process for Windows Services stopped working and was closed ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • UVC(USB Video Class), MJPEG Format Image Preview Error
    ... is successful with host in ISO mode. ... flow by refernace GraphEdit: device ...
  • Re: Confused about ADT protocol
    ... if the disk is coming from the apple how is the host going to find a file, measure its size and check for being valid? ... It would fail with unable to write, or overwrite without confirmation; I don't remember which, but both situations were bad. ... That essentially implemented the same semantics, though the flow has different contents. ...
    (comp.sys.apple2)