Re: Need Direction

hopper wrote:
I am building a web site for a musician friend. He wants to be able to sell his songs as downloads much like Itunes and Napster does. This is a bit above my knowledge. I feel this can be done with the cgi and a scripting language, and I don't mind doing the research myself, but I have been unable to find my answers. Does anyone have an idea where I might find a solution? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Take a look at different protals/e-commerce projects that are listed at, think you can be quite lucky and find one that does what you need.

The idea is quite simple really, an user system, with a download script that calls a payments script and then forwards the file in question from a directory which isn't accessible with a browser.
If you would take the time to write it yourself, I would suggest you use PHP, as it works on most platforms (your friend won't be depending on a special web-hotel, but can freely switch to another one) and for it's stability. There is an on-line manual at, which is really useful and then you have alt.php and alt.php.sql where you can get good help with both PHP and SQL.
I do really suggest you do look at already made solutions.