Re: does XHTML compile into CHM files?

John,

> ... does anyone know of problems compiling XHTML into a CHM file, or will
> it just treat it like HTML?

The HTML Help compiler doesn't like XML declarations such as <?xml
version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>, and it will display error messages
whenever it encounters them -- the tag is reportedly "not a valid HTML
tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character)". However, XHTML
documents that contain these declarations will still display fine in
the HTML Help viewer. I've not encountered any other problems in the
3-4 years I've been compiling XHTML documents into .chm files.

--
Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)

  • Re: Need help with HTML Help
    ... > Is .chm file viewer integral part of Windows? ... HTML Help viewer). ... > When I execute above ShellExecute, the .chm file opens but not on selected ... ShellExecute is not the best way to open HTML Help. ...
  • Re: help file
    ... generally referred to as WinHelp) or a .CHM file (a ... Compiled HTML Help file, generally referred to as HTML Help). ... because Wordpad does not support footnotes. ...
  • Re: cannot view chm help documents
    ... the file with .reg extension. ... ;CHM file type association fix ... Microsoft MVP [Windows Desktop Experience] ... associations to open the file and it's set to default (microsoft HTML Help ...
  • chm production from C/C++ project
    ... Fles" and "HTML Help Topics". ... I can now build the CHM file by right clicking ... on the hhp file and selecting Compile. ...
    (microsoft.public.vstudio.development)
  • Chm files cant be read
    ... system is shot on this machine. ... Regarding books online, they used to work ok on this computer (W2k Pro Sp4, ... Also on this computer I now unable to open any chm file either from a menu ... These problems apply to all help files using the HTML help system on this ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)